Site Areas
Wedding Centre
Health Club
Marriage Clinic
Citizen's Centre
Coffee Shop
Admin Centre

CDs / Videos

Contact Us
Site map
Link to Us


Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

In association with:

Marriage books and much more from

Celebrate your marriage with flowers!

Set up your Wedding Registry!

Marriage and divorce advice from

Take our Demographic survey

Family Friendly Site

   Home  > Articles

The where and how of getting married

By Kate

England and Wales

It is possible to get married in a church or chapel of the Church of England or Church in Wales or in a register office, approved venue or other place of worship. The procedure for getting married in an Anglican Church is slightly different from getting married at any of the other venues. For details on how to get married in the Church of England, visit their web site Your Church Wedding.

If you wish to get married any other way, you will need to give notice of marriage personally to your local superintendent registrar. Phone numbers for these can be found under Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths in your local phone book.

Notice of marriage has to be given personally to your local superintendent registrar(s) at the Register Office in the district in which you and your partner reside. Notice is valid for twelve months. The names of the parties to the marriage, age, marital status, address, occupation nationality and the intended venue for the marriage must be given.

Both of you must have lived in a registration district in England or Wales for at least seven days immediately before giving notice at the register office. If you both live in the same district, you should both attend your local register office together to give your notices of marriage. If you live in different registration districts then each of you will need to give notice separately in your respective district. You must then wait a further sixteen days before the marriage can take place.

Marriage at a Register Office or Approved Premises.

Although you need to give notice in person to the superintendent registrar of the district where you are resident, you may marry at any register office or other premises, licensed by the local authority for that purpose, in England or Wales. You will have to contact the superintendent registrar of the district where you wish to marry to arrange the date for your ceremony, and of course make appropriate arrangements with the approved venue of your choice. Your local register office will have a list of approved premises or you can search for one online.

Weddings at register offices or approved premises may not contain any religious content, but it may be possible for you to make arrangements to include non-religious music, readings or poetry.

The minimum number of people who may attend are yourselves and two witnesses.

Please check all this information and your particular circumstances with your local registrar when you come to give notice of marriage.


Marriage at a Place of Worship

In this article
- Introduction
- England and Wales
- Marriage at a Place of Worship
- Documents and Charges (England and Wales)
- Getting Married in Scotland
- Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands

Bookmark and Share
Printer Friendly
More From this author

More Articles
- Facing infertility together
- PREPARE/ENRICH Psycometric Marital Inventories Training
- PREPARE/ENRICH Relationship Inventory
- Money makes the world go around!

Hot Picks
- 6th National Relationship Education Conference
- Take the Couple Check-up!
- Marriage first aid
- Marriage help for friends
- Deepen your love & marriage

- Marriage news from around the world
- Coffee Shop Chat - have some fun!!
- Marriage Problems - ask for help!
- Visit the Index

 2-in-2-1 Today
Take our Couple Checkup - put your relationship on strong foundations by checking out the strengths and growth areas!
Difficulties communicating? - 55 cards to improve your couple communication
What people say about 2-in-2-1 - we thrive on your feedback!
Couples Wanted!! - for TV and press enquiries - tell your story!
Cyber sex and Internet addiction - is the internet threatening your marriage??


Copyright ©1999-2019 2-in-2-1 Limited. All rights reserved. Disclaimer Privacy Statement