Site Areas
Wedding Centre
Health Club
Marriage Clinic
Citizen's Centre
Coffee Shop
Admin Centre

CDs / Videos

Contact Us
Site map
Link to Us


Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

In association with:

Marriage books and much more from

Celebrate your marriage with flowers!

Set up your Wedding Registry!

Marriage and divorce advice from

Take our Demographic survey

Family Friendly Site

   Home  > Articles

The where and how of getting married

By Kate

Marriage at a Place of Worship

Marriage at a place of worship other than the Church of England or Church in Wales

In England or Wales, you can be married at places of worship of other denominations of the Christian faith or of other faiths, according to the particular rites of that faith. Your first step should be to contact the minister or person in charge of marriages at that building. Not all buildings are licensed for the solemnization of marriages and if that is the case you may have to attend a civil ceremony first.

The place of worship must be in one of the districts where you or your partner are resident or you must be able to show that it is your regular place of worship. Where there is not a place of worship of your faith in your district, then you should be married at one in the nearest district or the place where you worship regularly. If there is no appropriate person who is licensed to marry you at your place of worship, you will have to arrange for a registrar to be present.

Roman Catholic Weddings

If you are both Catholic, then there will be publication of banns as well as the civil requirements of giving notice of marriage to your local superintendent registrar. If you are marrying a non-catholic you may well need to ask permission from your priest.

More information from Catholic Church web site or Marriage Care


Jewish Weddings

More information from:

Jewish Marriage Council,
23 Ravenhurst Avenue,
London, NW4 4EE.
Tel: 020 8203 6311
Fax: 020 8203 8727.

Quaker weddings

The Quakers have their own procedure which you have to go through with the registering officer at the Society of Friends monthly meeting.

For more information:

The Religious Society of Friends,
173-177 Euston Road,
London, NW1 2BJ
Tel: 020 7663 1000

Muslim Weddings

For more information:

Muslim Information Centre,
233 Seven Sisters Road,
London N4 2DA,
tel: 0207 272 5170

England and Wales

Documents and Charges (England and Wales)

In this article
- Introduction
- England and Wales
- Marriage at a Place of Worship
- Documents and Charges (England and Wales)
- Getting Married in Scotland
- Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands

Bookmark and Share
Printer Friendly
More From this author

More Articles
- Facing infertility together
- PREPARE/ENRICH Psycometric Marital Inventories Training
- PREPARE/ENRICH Relationship Inventory
- Money makes the world go around!

Hot Picks
- 6th National Relationship Education Conference
- Take the Couple Check-up!
- Marriage first aid
- Marriage help for friends
- Deepen your love & marriage

- Marriage news from around the world
- Coffee Shop Chat - have some fun!!
- Marriage Problems - ask for help!
- Visit the Index

 2-in-2-1 Today
Take our Couple Checkup - put your relationship on strong foundations by checking out the strengths and growth areas!
Difficulties communicating? - 55 cards to improve your couple communication
What people say about 2-in-2-1 - we thrive on your feedback!
Couples Wanted!! - for TV and press enquiries - tell your story!
Cyber sex and Internet addiction - is the internet threatening your marriage??


Copyright ©1999-2019 2-in-2-1 Limited. All rights reserved. Disclaimer Privacy Statement