Site Areas
Wedding Centre
Health Club
Marriage Clinic
Citizen's Centre
Coffee Shop
Admin Centre

CDs / Videos

Contact Us
Site map
Link to Us


Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

In association with:

Marriage books and much more from

Celebrate your marriage with flowers!

Set up your Wedding Registry!

Marriage and divorce advice from

Take our Demographic survey

Family Friendly Site

   Home  > Articles

The where and how of getting married

By Kate

Getting Married in Scotland

You can get married in Scotland even if you are not resident there, but you will be required to provide documents such as your birth certificate and evidence that you are free to marry if you have been married previously (death certificate or decree absolute of divorce). Further documentation may be required in certain circumstances and the registrar will advise you of this.

You can choose between a religious and civil ceremony at one of the register offices around Scotland. You will need first of all to contact the minister or registrar concerned, to book a date. You will also have to give notice of marriage. The appropriate forms and charges can be obtained from any register office, but must be submitted to the registrar of the office or district where you intend to marry. Notice must be given in the three month period before the marriage date, but at least 15 days beforehand, although 4-6 weeks is preferable especially if one of you have been married previously.

Religious ceremony

A religious ceremony can be conducted by a minister or person entitled to do so under the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977. When you have given notice to the registrar of the district where you are marrying, you will be given a time in the week before your wedding to collect the marriage schedule in person. This schedule must be handed to the person marrying you, signed and witnessed after the ceremony and then returned to the registrar to register the wedding. After the marriage has been registered, you may collect copies of the marriage certificate for an appropriate fee.

Civil Ceremony

You do not need to collect the marriage schedule in this case, as the registrar will produce it for signing at your wedding and register the marriage and issue the marriage certificate, subject to a charge.

If you are not resident in Scotland

If one of you live in England or Wales, you can opt to give notice to the superintendent registrar of the district of England and Wales you are resident in, while your partner gives notice in Scotland. The certificate of marriage will then need to be sent to the registrar in Scotland as soon as possible.

If you are resident outside the United Kingdom, you will need to check with the registrar what additional documentation you need.

Further information from:

Our Marriage in Scotland page or from the Scottish General Register Office's web site

Documents and Charges (England and Wales)

Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands

In this article
- Introduction
- England and Wales
- Marriage at a Place of Worship
- Documents and Charges (England and Wales)
- Getting Married in Scotland
- Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands

Bookmark and Share
Printer Friendly
More From this author

More Articles
- Facing infertility together
- PREPARE/ENRICH Psycometric Marital Inventories Training
- PREPARE/ENRICH Relationship Inventory
- Money makes the world go around!

Hot Picks
- 6th National Relationship Education Conference
- Take the Couple Check-up!
- Marriage first aid
- Marriage help for friends
- Deepen your love & marriage

- Marriage news from around the world
- Coffee Shop Chat - have some fun!!
- Marriage Problems - ask for help!
- Visit the Index

 2-in-2-1 Today
Take our Couple Checkup - put your relationship on strong foundations by checking out the strengths and growth areas!
Difficulties communicating? - 55 cards to improve your couple communication
What people say about 2-in-2-1 - we thrive on your feedback!
Couples Wanted!! - for TV and press enquiries - tell your story!
Cyber sex and Internet addiction - is the internet threatening your marriage??


Copyright ©1999-2019 2-in-2-1 Limited. All rights reserved. Disclaimer Privacy Statement