View Single Post
Old 8th November 2010, 02:12 PM   #4
chosen

Re: Impact of divorce on children

Wiggle I am assuming that many kids in this survey were from families where there is no dad at all, ie single mums on their own. Families where there has been divorce, often still have 2 committed parents who both love and do the best for their kids. Nearly all of the families that I know where there has been divorce, still have both parents totally committed to the children. Families where there has never been a dad, or where one parent was abusive or
angry or drunk or whatever can often be happier with one parent.

I believe that some kids are better off with one parent, depending on the marriage and why it ended. My parents never divorced, but my dad had affairs, the last one lasting many years. That isnt good for kids to be around. He wasnt an easy man to live with, and I often wished he wasnt there.I was happier when he wasnt there in my teens.

My husbands parents more or less lived seperate lives in the same house all through his child hood, and all he remembers is their bickering and his mum putting all of her emotional needs on him instead of her husband. He too may well have been better off in a peaceful atmosphere with one parent.

I am all for marriage and for govt support for marriage, but in some cases the children are actually better off with one good parent. The ideal is 2 good parents who love each other of course, but that isnt always real life.
I do think though that some do divorce for no good reason ie because they have 'gown apart' or fallen 'out of love' or one has met someone else,and that isnt good reason to end the marriage, and the children will suffer.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote