View Single Post
Old 17th January 2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Ageing Grace

Re: Renewing our wedding vows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn33 View Post
morning thank you for your kind words at this time in my life i don't know if i'm coming or going
i've brought a dress it was reduced by 70% bargain
Thank you for writing back, Dawn Glad you found a dress - and well done on the bargain!!!

I'm shocked to hear the hospital treated you that way: no wonder you felt so down on yourself afterwards. I'm sure you realise they are just very busy (and perhaps inexperienced), so their attitude in no way reflects on you yourself. But it's still dreadful they didn't provide counselling or even a few kind words

There's nothing at all to feel ashamed about. What makes you think people would judge you, Dawn? I do hope there's somebody near you, who is kind enough to listen & make you cups of tea .... a sister, maybe, or an old friend?
Some of them are probably worried about you, but scared to say anything ...

Depression makes you feel that you are horrible. It's an illness. Nobody knows exactly what causes it, but it very definitely can be treated and it does get better. The medications for depression are a lot better now than they were 10 years ago, and therapy has come on really fast.

There's a method called CBT, which is available on the NHS if you're in the UK. It only takes 6 sessions to make a difference. There's a bit about it here:
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt...ments/cbt.aspx

As it says, CBT is usually prescribed along with antidepressants. Your doctor should be able to sort you out with all this

Once you're getting some treatment, it feels a bit easier to let other people know you're unwell. That was true for me, anyway.

Mind you, my mother's still hopeless with it! She rambles on about me being "addicted to those drugs" and saying there's nothing wrong with me ... it's very depressing!!! Most other people have been great though, much more understanding than I expected.

Once I started telling people I'm on antidepressants, it was incredible how many of them said they are, too! I'm absolutely sure that statistic about a third of the population is true. However much you feel you're on your own, the world's full of people having down days. They do understand what it's like for you.

I'm having one myself, today I hate the thought that you're suffering on your own, Dawn. Please talk to your doctor.

Enjoy trying out your outfit! Take good care of you.
AG xx
Ageing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote