View Single Post
Old 14th August 2011, 11:36 AM   #800
Helen_uk

Re: Husband doesn't want sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile View Post
Hi

Is that your Son with more pronounced ASD, Helen?

No Chamomile , that's my eldest son. Youngest who has the ASD really struggled in primary school. The way they were teaching just wasn't geared up for any child with any kind of difficulty . In the end I started to teach him phonetically at home , which was the way I learned to read although he still attended school everyday . He picked it up within a couple of weeks and went from not being able to read barely at all at age 4 , to having the reading age of a 17 year old at age 8. Youngest has the intelligence but sees things very literally and so if he struggled with anything I tried to find a different way of approaching it that he'd understand. Once he'd grasped the basics of something he would come on in leaps and bounds. Schools on the whole just don't have the resources for that kind of one-to-one teaching.His secondary school I must admit was far more supportive and his EA became a personal friend . Youngest was exhausting to bring up !

He had such behavioural problems from a young age that it was impossible to teach him anything he wasn't interested in , working with his psychologist was marvellous . I owe her a huge debt of gratitude for the support we had. She has 2 autistic children herself and really understood .

As for myself , I'm so ill now for such long periods of time I can barely function some days , let alone study . I doubt I'd have the patience or energy for formal studying.
Helen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote