Thread: Hope Springs
View Single Post
Old 19th September 2012, 10:15 PM   #5
1aokgal

Re: Hope Springs

Hi Chosen..

I didn't fancy seeing the film because I think the subject is so sad and not funny for those in that situation.

I think the barometer of the success in marriage would be seen with couples married over 15 yrs who share a satisfaction and harmony in their lives. There are several couples I know that I think are healthy and have found the formula for a good marriage.

One, is that they set a certain time aside to be together on a schedule. They let nothing interfere with their time. One couple calls a weekly date night where they go out to dinner, dancing, or some shared romantic time. They are awfully cute together and dress up and do it up nicely, even if it is a movie together..it is special. They are together more than once weekly, I am told, but that one night is set on calendar.

The other commonality is a faith based belief that the marriage is contractually blessed. They hold beliefs prescribed as fidelity, loyalty, patience, understanding and concern for the partner. There are no conflicts in discussions or goals, as they work well together and compromise on differences.

They readily engage in their community in some form. These couples have strong social interactions with others. They go beyond their home unit to add input with others..friends and church, social networks.

They never stop learning as taking courses, having goals, working toward some shared desire as a trip or cruise or whatever. There is enthusiasm and motivation as a couple.

There is emphasis on maintianing good health, physically and emotionally. They walk, hike, bike, dance, and share music and athletic pursuits. There is youthful zest. Sex continues to be important for these partners.
Anyone have any other observations of a good marriage?