Thread: Hope Springs
View Single Post
Old 20th September 2012, 04:15 AM   #6
chosen

Re: Hope Springs

We all have our criteria for what we want in a marriage and what we think are good points for marriage. Of course they will all differ in some ways.

Obviously I cant agree in the 15 year thing. I know several marriages that lasted/have lasted 40 or more years and that are/were not good, and marriages like mine of 7 years that are amazing, incredibly strong, and that get better all the time. I am not sure why 15 years is some sort of cut off point? You cant measure success in marriage by the length. My aunt found the love of her life when she was 60 and he 70. They had 10 amazing years together before he sadly died. Not an especially long marriage, but an amazing one.

My son has only been married for 18 months, having known each other for nearly 3 years previous to marriage, and I have never known a couple who are so close, so well suited and so in tune with each other. Its a joy to see them together and the way they interact. Of course it helps that it was God who bought them together, and that they are both strong Christians.

Sex is very important to us. For my husband especially, because his first wife was very controlling in this area and they only had sex when she said, and if she said. Not good for a man at all. I made a decision when we married that I would never be like that. We are very open about it, and talk about anything and everything in life.

I agree with most of your points, and I am blessed in that my husband works from home so we can spend a lot of time together, and when he has a quiet spell we go out all the time. Times away together are also special, and in fact we have just been away for 2 weeks and its been really good, especially as we both have such a lot on in the next couple of months.

Faithfullness is vital, as is complete honesty, trust, and openess about anything and everything. A good sense of homour is a real bonus and we laugh such a lot.
Friends are also important, and we both have some good friends.

Faith in God is vital for us, and my husband is an avid Bible reader. Praying together is also really useful, and we try to do that fairly regularly.

We have also found that it is helpful to go on the occasional marriage enrichment course. This is sort of like an MOT and provides the time and space to take stock of your marriage.

Being best friends is so important as well, and also being in tune about things. We just seem to have very similar tastes generally, and just 'clicked' from the first time we were in contact. I feel as if we have been married all our adult lives.

I am sure there are more things but thats all for now.

Last edited by chosen; 20th September 2012 at 08:38 AM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote