View Single Post
Old 14th September 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Raymond

Re: How in laws can affect a marriage

Hi Chosen. I hadn't noticed your post. I thought it was an old post on advice you gave.

My wife is now a mother in law too to one of my son's new wife. They are both 24 years. She only became a christian a year before he went out with her. She comes from Ewshot a village near Farnham, probably around your way. I can't see her controlling them or him being controlled. A bit too stubborn for that. Not that she would.

The control thing is very powerful. I once went to a Bill Subritski meeting in Brighton arranged by Peter Horrobin and there was a chap from NZ speaking who went into depth about control as he has been controlled by his mother. He's written a book about it. I forgot the title but his name is Graham Powell. They will know about it at Pierrepont.

He spoke about the hidden spiritual side and it sounded horrific. It was something about not cutting the apron strings and letting go so that they can grow into men. It can effect their masculinity. Once he recognised it and tried to break free all hell was let loose but in Christ he did it.

It is a lot to do with a man leaving his parents and cleaving to his wife. If the mother doesn't really let go it can really affect the marriage badly. I suppose one can recognise it through possessiveness as well.

I'd encourage your sons to get ministry. Even leaving the country might not help as I have heard of cases where the son felt he had to ring his mother every day. There was an ought to about it which could indicate a control operating.

I heard that your husband comes from Brisbane. My son spent six months there just over a year ago on a YWAM course in Mitchelton. That's where he really came on and got baptised. He came back a new man. I thank God for it.

God bless
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote