View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
1aokgal

Re: wedding place please help..

Hi AG...

The couple with one, who is part of another church (not Catholic), can marry in the church, by a priest BUT the marriage is done symbolically OUTSIDE the altar rail AND the one, not Catholic, must go through a short course about the church. He does not have to alter his faith if he is a member of any other religious faith. He can practice where he will. He just needs to take a few classes in understanding the beliefs held by the Catholic church about marriage and any children born of that union.
In fact, one of the admonishments to this course is a promise he must make that if a child is born of the marriage the child will be brought up Catholic. In other words, this spouse will never be an impediment to the Catholic partner to practice the faith.

I was married this way years ago to my first husband...later divorced. I continued as a Catholic but as a divorced person I could never receive sacraments with my children at mass. It was, for that reason, I left this faith. My children were made to feel I was "unworthy" and here I was supporting tuition for parochial schools. I was worthy to sign the checks but not take sacraments. This has since been changed through the years and divorced may recieve sacraments under some provisions. I am no longer familiar with this .

I also felt that the number of my family was a personal choice and disagreed with the mandate on birth control. Yes, I know about the other "methods." Far be it for me to play russian roulette on supporting a child born unintended. I remember several families in school with me who had eight or more children. That seemed a bit excess to me for comfort.

It is true that when the woman is Catholic, and the husband is not..she is less likely to remain in her church. She generally defers to the husband in this matter. When the husband is Catholic, then stats say it is more likely he remains firm in his church. The wife will either go or not go with him but there is less conflict. The ideal is always that we share belief and common interests and there is less problem in one more area of life. After all, we argue over spaghetti or mexican and that seems enough, dosen't it?

Your advise as always is faultless, humerous and on level with a doctorate in psychiatry..doubtless from your exposure to all the disciplines as you have journeyed to understanding yourself and others. Generally, I don't pipe in on religious issues... as I am not such a practicing anything these days... but this one I had personal data.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 24th October 2009 at 10:15 AM.