View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:58 AM   #12
rppearso

Re: marriage is good, how do we get the message across?

The problem people see with marriage is the divorce rate is 50%. Its one thing to break up with a GF or BF but divorce is a paper intesive onerous legal process that is often times extremely expensive and can be as extreme as to put you into bankrupcy. I dont think the implications of divorce or the divorce rate are what God had planned but its the reality we have to deal with. People have a biological urge to have sex so thats not going to stop but people are going to think twice when they see there friend going through an expensive divorce and there friends spouse is dragging them through the mud (alimony, child support, unequal division of assets, lawyer fees, etc) after its all said and done some people walk away having to start there life over again, that scenario is becomming more and more common place (I have a couple of friends going through that exact scenario, lucky for me my divorce is amicable) and thats a pretty tall order when considering marriage, you want to make real sure your compatible with that person (dating, living together the whole nine yards for a very long period of time to make sure both parties are going to be happy), I hear about couples all the time that do the whole dating and dont have sex and get married and realize they have nothing in common in the bed room, it strains the relationship and the marriage fails. The flip side of that coin is they see there friends who are unhappily married and depressed and are avoiding divorce because of the above consequences but it is slowly sucking the life out of them (and this group since they are still married are part of the other 50%), if you did a study of what percentage are HAPPILY married it would be much lower, I would say 30-40% thats not very good odds. Thats why I said they should write a detailed book on why marriages failed and make a marriage class required to get a marriage licence.