Thread: School Visit
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2009, 02:23 PM   #9
32hh

Re: School Visit

Grace, I don't think teaching 6 year olds about the clitoris is age approprate frankly. I realise you mean well as do the people who dreamed it up, but you don't have kids (I don't think anyway-apologies if I am wrong), so you have never sat around the dinner table with 4 six year old girls discussing their clitorises. It is quite disturbling and very inappropriate I feel- complete with discussing how touching it can feel nice etc. There is no need. There is also the schools refusal to tell parents when this "education" is going to take place, which annoys me though I appreciate that it may be a problem with my daughters school. I have repeated asked that parents are informed exactly when this "lesson" will be held, and that we are informed of exactly what is covered. The schools argument is they are concerned parents would keep children off that day to miss the class. My argument is if you know when it is and what they are being told, you can at least brace yourself for it and discuss what they have been told and clarify any points of confusion (such as the girl who was somehow left with the impression her clitoris might turn into a penis- don't know how she got that impression but she did!!). I still disagree with it, but would rather my daughter heard the initial version from the teacher (or rather the DVD they watch) than getting it secondhand and garbled from classmates. Ideally they would not be told any of this, as I feel it is all part of the general sexualisation of children from far too early an age. And no, whilst so far they have not gone into the mechanics of homosexuality, it is about the only relationship that has been touched on. And also, I know one of the favourite insults is "gay" but so is any other "naughty"word. Telling them what it means only makes them pick on children who have close friendships MORE not less. I do not think and never will think that there is any place in primary schools for sex education.
However, i do agree with the marriage thing in secondary school!
Sorry for the rant, but it does annoy me, and there is always someone who has marvellously reasonable arguments about the absolute necessity of it, but I think children should be children while they can and not be made old before their time by being burdened with unnecessary information, which i feel only adds to unneccessary stress, pressure and worries for them. FWIW, I rant equally long and hard about children with mobiles and little girls in high heels and make up :-)
32hh is offline   Reply With Quote