View Single Post
Old 5th April 2009, 02:36 PM   #6
clockwork orange

Re: Redefine the marriage contract?

Don't think anyone can converse with rp. But anyhow, back on topic. Not sure about "redefining" so much as carefully considering the implications and potential consequences before taking the step. There is a place for pre-marriage counselling, imho, where all areas of marriage can be discussed, and potential problems, blind-spots, areas of compromise (or not) etc can be tackled. If the big issues can't be resolved, then cancel the wedding.

I have cancelled a wedding - its a hard thing to do, but 20 years later we can still talk to each other and it was the best thing to do, for both of us. Marriage would not have succeeded in that case. I have also heard of others who decided to cancel after pre-marriage counselling, having decided that however "in love" they were, their relationship did not have what it takes to build a marriage.

Civil Partnerships are not exempt from these problems either - I did hear a report the other day that the separation rate is similar to that of married couples.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote