Thread: Hope Springs
View Single Post
Old 4th October 2012, 11:51 PM   #48
1aokgal

Re: Hope Springs

Here Halloween is like the cartoon, Casper the Friendly ghost, by Disney. Some homeowners go all out and make a place on the yeard with a complete little mini lit up graveyards with hanging witches, moss and little cardboard gravestones. The whole things is so weird and fun and has no attachment to evil, satanism, or dark stuff (lost long ago) although the kids say,"Trick or Treat." It was big when I was a kid. Some of my childhood best memories was the trip going fast to go to neighbors houses and get candy dropped in our sacks. Kids all show off carefully chosen costumes... now as space men, comic characters as Batman, and movie silly heroes.

When I was young, all the kids in the neighborhood hit one guys' house. He had biggest and best show right down to spooky music and effects. There was spooky stuff hanging as scary ooo-gah sound to open his fence gate and stuff that jumps out. There were lanterns with faces, flying ghosts on the roof, hanging moss and nasty hanging fake spider webs with big comic spiders. The guy had to buy huge stock of candy with his house being the Mecca for all the kids.His place was the top best!!! Each year it was better. He would have painted green face and faky teeth on and wife dressed up. They were dressed silly and a bit scary and fun for kids.

One year my friend and I got there just as the family ran out of candy. We still got to see his great stuff. He was so chagrined to disappoint a couple kids, his wife insisted we take a piece of cake she baked (little ghosty figures on it) they made for family. It was so nice and fun for us.

The family came out and sat with us and parent on his porch with pumpkin candles, to eat cake with us. He was a school teacher, so knew most of the kids by name. A great memory of nice time for kids. Adults usually travel along with kids with lanterns, flashlights and little light-up sticks to watch kids go up to houses and ring doorbells so kids are safe. The time runs from about 7-8:30PM here. Sure can run through bags of candy in that time as each kid gets a treat. I usually hit the dollar store and buy bags of stuff for this event.

The significance of Halloween as long since been lost although it is a big excuse for one big party! Is fudge fattening??? OH boy, is it! Pure cholate and sugar and flavors makes a pretty big sugar high. It is a bite or two piece treat. I had a cookie in Germany that was pure joy. It was almond paste dough and a center with sugary cherry. Yup, good stuff, but suicide!

We have huge influx of Canadians here because this is best beach resort on east coast . It is midway to Florida. There are amusement parks, water parks, surfing and art exhibits and every month has festival or events year round. Summer is best, but lots to do here, and area has fine accomadations for a reasonable family vacations. The NY and NJ beaches are often polluted, so they come here with clean area. It is a fine area.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 5th October 2012 at 04:14 AM.