View Single Post
Old 8th April 2009, 08:28 AM   #16
rppearso

Re: Redefine the marriage contract?

Having kids generally sinks relationships because spouses prioritize the kids over there spouse and feminism has had alot to play in all this, our society is in a downward spiral out of control. We are over populated as a nation and 300 million people can not all live the american dream, new students are flooding universities at alarming rates and good high rated universitites are having to tighten there standards to maintain good student teacher ratios and maintain high quality graduates (I am happy my university is still maintaining its hard core standards in engineering and science as my degree will always have high value). This creates a pesant class because the existing infrastructure is being taxed. Divorce is occuring at an alarming rate because peoples priorities are all messed up and majority of americans and most europeans dont come anywhere close to living in reality and they could not logicly reason there way out of a paper bag, I am bewildered by the stupidity of alot of people, it is a strain to find people who can even carry on an educated logical debate.

Couples dont have boundries with there kids and dont prioritize mommy and daddy time alone they react to every whim of the child and there is no longer any disipline in schools or even at home we have degraded to such a point as a society that you cant even point to any one or two things anymore because so much is in shambles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageing Grace View Post
This is another artile from the Times, entitled "Love Lessons from Divorce". In it, Naomi Woolf says Her premise is that, after divorce, parents make conscientous & legally-binding agreements regarding childcare and finances - plus, both partners gain enough free time to invest in new romantic liaisons.

Woolf says that, if we made these legally-binding arrangements upon marriage, we wouldn't need so many divorces because everything's in place for a well-managed family, financial, and romantic life. I think she has a strong point! She further says that civil partnerships, for example gay marriages (in the UK), lacking a pre-existing legal structure, have to get these matters sorted out by contract prior to commitment and therefore have a better chance of survival than traditional marriage.

I'm quoting her final paragraphs. You can read the whole article here.

AG