View Single Post
Old 15th February 2007, 05:47 AM   #17
Evada

Re: Do christian/atheist marriages work?

I think it is important you go into the marriage being clear on what you will teach the children regarding religious beliefs.

I have been married 15 yrs to a wonderful man who thinks all this business about God is a bunch of bunk. Furthermore, he thinks he is doing his children an injustice letting them be "brainwashed" into believing what he sees as a negative thing. It has made things very difficult and I have almost had to sneak any sort of spiritual guidance into my children's lives. It's pretty much "ex-nay on the Esus-Jay" around here, otherwise Dad will go about explaining to the kids that there is no such thing as God, Jesus, etc, that it's all make believe story, like Santa or the Easter Bunny.

When we first got married, he seemed okay about it all and respectful of my beliefs, but it all changed when we had kids. Kids have a way of changing our priorities, and it suddenly became apparent to him that he had to protect them from being fed these "untruths". If you look at it from his perspective, you can see how he thinks he is doing what is best for his kids.

Unfortunately, I disagree with him, and unfortunately, it makes things very difficult in our marriage. I love him very much, but if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have married him. Which is really a shame, because he really is a good man.