View Single Post
Old 29th March 2007, 07:40 PM   #19
charlie1

Re: Do christian/atheist marriages work?

I am in a relationship with a christian. I am a non believer (atheist/lapsed catholic).

- Marrying a christian doesnt guarantee anything. if you married Jimmy Swaggart or Jim baker ( fill in with multiple "fallen christians"). Christians have as high , or even a higher divorce rate than other religions.
- Not being "yoked" was probably good safe advice back in biblical times. people of different sects, tribes had very different customs, traditions and were very focused on preserving same. Modern society is much more homogenous and people are more educated, respectful of each others differences etc. Its not really relevant today.

I think its totally possibleto marry someone who is a non believer. I think Christians may , at some level, not want this to work because it acknowledges others beliefs which automatically undermines theirs.

You may have to re-examine some of your core beliefs though but you choose this person already so you are probably open to that. I wouldnt worry about adapting the bible to your life because people have been doing that for centuries to justify everything from slavery to heretic burning.

Every couple has things they want to change about the other. Its part of the tension that keeps a relationship dynamic.

This is love. If you are in a happy, respectful, loving relationship that is the most important thing and that is where you should start. Any loving God would smile.