View Single Post
Old 21st December 2008, 02:18 AM   #33
Ageing Grace

Re: Do christian/atheist marriages work?

Allie, I think you need answers from some of the Christian members here. I'm not - but I will try to put your mind at rest a little bit.

Depending on what school of faith your boyfriend's following (there are hundreds of different ways to interpret what the Bible says), you might not notice any difference at all except for going to church more often and some prayers.

I hope this is the case for you, as it's easy to live with and there is really very little to dislike about a partner with a strong commitment to honesty, love and responsibility!

Some branches of religion set very strict rules about how to behave, what to wear, how much fun is allowed and so on. If your boyfriend has chosen a 'prescriptive' type of faith there could be more of a problem because he may want to change you and your life together. In this case, I think you'd need to go talk to his teachers/preachers - preferably with a close friend or family member of yours for support - to find out more about it, so as to know more about your boyfriend's new expectations & decide whether you're willing to live in his world.

Concerning your question about family: There is no religion, anywhere, that puts anything before god. Not even family. Love between people is seen as a reflection of the love between god & mankind, so it can never be bigger or more important than the original - if you see what I mean? On the up side, this does mean that love between people is highly respected and valued.

If he sticks with his faith, he will certainly want his children to be baptised into the same church, and reared according to its beliefs.

Does your boyfriend have a troubled background? Finding god can often provide an excellent way to resolve bad issues within a person - so it might be worth exploring this angle a bit further before you make any big decisions. I hope Raymond will chip in here, as he's well informed on how Christianity helps people sort out their problems.

You chose the right forum here; good luck.
AG

Last edited by Ageing Grace; 21st December 2008 at 02:48 AM. Reason: typos
Ageing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote