View Single Post
Old 18th November 2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Miz Krystal

Re: Can a 14 year old get married?

Thanks for your reply Sillyman, you raised some interesting points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyman View Post
she's only 14 - why would she want to marry at such a young age? Just my take on this, but however mature she may seem, she is not old enough to marry.
Why is she not old enough to marry? In the UK 16 year olds are allowed to marry with parental consent, what difference does 2 years make? You do realize that plenty of 'adults' get married and it ends in divorce - age doesn't make a difference.

Quote:
The gap between a 21 year old man and 14 year old girl is massive.
Why is the age gap important if they love each other?

Quote:
What happens when she finishes school, maybe goes to university, and wants to go and see the world for herself?
I can't control her life. If she wants to do those things she still can, what's the worst that can happen? She gets divorced?

Quote:
There will not be exceptions - the law allows marriage with consent from 16, not before.
Why is the law set at 16, what's so magic about that number? Do you realise that the age of consent is 14 in Germany, Italy, Portugal, Austria Spain and Japan? I think the law is arbitrary.

Quote:
she's 14, a child
She is not a child, she is a young woman. The age of criminal responsibility is 10, there are 14 year olds on our streets carrying knives and selling drugs - should they be sent to bed without any supper? My daughter has adult interests, including sex, because she is biologically a young adult. It's not my fault society extends childhood and has created a generation of irresponsible hooligans.