Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  

Go Back   2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums > Chapel > Christian Marriage

Old 9th January 2014, 12:15 PM   #1
oladi

Looking for practical marriage advice - Young london couple wanting to marry in 2016

Hello everyone,

While I was a student in university I met the woman I wanted to marry and we approached our relationship with marriage in mind from the get go. It has been over a year and a half since we started courting and now that I have graduated and found a job (Thank God!) I have started saving towards our first property, and would like us to marry by roughly spring 2016.

The thing is I am being realistic about my financial situation: I currently earn roughly 16k a year and I know that in london and assuming I will not get substantial pay raise it would be incredibly difficult for my wife to be and I to live together once we're married. She is due to graduate in the summer of 2015 and wants to be a teacher, which means she plans to immediately study for a PGCE for a year.

We both think it will be a good idea to spend our first few years of marriage renting a flat in London zone two ~£750 a month and my girlfriend thinks that with careful budgeting, her PGCE student loan and my income would be viable to split the bills (water, council tax, travel, food, gas, electricity, internet, contents insurance, savings - just letting you know that I have considered all of these things!)

I am on board with renting a property but I just want to know if any other couples who married young were in a situation where their significant other was still studying and if so, was such a situation manageable for you?
Some more information about us if it helps:
I am currently 21 years old and my parents were amazing enough to pay for my university tuition and I currently live with them which means I am in no debt.
My girlfriend is a 20 year old uni student set to graduate in summer 2015 and either get a TA job or start her PGCE that same year in September.

I am asking as many young christian couples from my church as I can, but most of our "young" married couples are still a fair bit older than us.

Thanks for any wisdom you'll be able to pass on, stay blessed!
Old 9th January 2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Raymond

Re: Looking for practical marriage advice - Young london couple wanting to marry in 2

Renting is very expensive unless one gets a housing association (council) flat or house Oladi. It can be done though if you are willing to start small. If you are not poor enough for a council house and not rich enough to buy, somehow you can get stuck in the middle. Couldn't both your parents help you to buy by providing a deposit? I am sure they are watching out for you and considering how you will find a place. The other option is to stay where you are for a time and save?

You will easily cope with he bills. It's the rent or mortgage that is the problem.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 02:42 PM   #3
chosen

Re: Looking for practical marriage advice - Young london couple wanting to marry in 2

All three of my children are in the position of having to pay very high rents but not being able to afford a home. They are all much older than you as well(35, 33 and 28) and earn more than you do. Its almost impossible for young people here to get their own homes unless they have well off parents or live in much cheaper areas such as in the North. £750 is pretty cheap for a flat even in outer London.

You are very young to be getting married of course, but you are leaving it 2 years. My son and his wife had to delay their marriage because she was still studying and they couldnt afford anywhere on one wage. My son was 32 when they did marry, and she was almost 28, but that's life. She had to be working before they married. You may have to do that as well, or your fiancé will have to work as well as study.

I would recommend moving away from London because it is very expensive.

Last edited by chosen; 9th January 2014 at 04:49 PM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 03:29 PM   #4
kasucram

Hi Oladi,

My wife and I were in the same situation when we got married (both in college). I am still in college and hoping to graduate this year.

What really helped us was STICKING to our budget, and working EXTRA to pay all our bills.

I will suggest you should rent for at least a year before even thinking about buying a house.

Read more about through Google searches.

Let me know if this helps.

Last edited by Dave; 25th July 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Extraneous links removed
kasucram is offline   Reply With Quote