Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 6th June 2010, 10:58 AM   #1
JWD

Getting past your past

Great site here

http://gettingpastyourpast.wordpress.com/

I've bought her book and it's great. I think I have been guilty of pretending I was 'over it' and I am in a way but I have definitely pushed away some of the more unpleasant memories.

For example pretending to myself he was dead as a way of dealing with it lol - I honestly think I'd die of fright if Iseen him out and about -that can't be very healthy.

I also have this ridiculous fear of bumping into him and his friends and anyone remotely connected.

So, I'm going to face it all again, really properly face it and see what happens.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:40 AM   #2
georgie

Re: Getting past your past

out of the shadows - he's not that scarey, he's just a sillly little person that never deserved someone as wonderful as you xxx
Life of love and happiness in waiting when ur ready x
georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
JWD

You're so fab G xxxx
I drive myself insane sometimes. I kinda skim over it- like its there, but not too deep. I try and justify it by saying "is it really such a big deal", isn't he right or even brave to go after what he wants (I know that's ridiculous). I think I do it because I so want to be ok with the whole thing. To be able to think that it just didn't matter.

I think I've taken my cue from him, and that because he was so detached and horrid and lacked any compassion or emotion at all, I felt that I shouldn't either. I still hold my breath in terror when someone mentions his name, like they are about to tell me something about him and I just don't want to know.

I understand why people go creeping at the other person on fb etc and why they get so obsessed but I've never done that because I just can't face knowing. I'm sure by now I would be ok with it, but I don't do it just in case I'm not and it messes me up even more.

I know I've come very far, and I know I'm worth more and far better off without him, but I still find it so sad that my marriage ended. And I seem to think they is some sort of manual to get through it, like I should be reading step for step and constantly looking to see what stage I'm at.

I long for the day I can honestly say that I forgive, but I don't even know what I'm supposed to be forgiving? I mean i don't have kids, there is no need for us to stay in touch - i don't even want to, so why can't I just move on properly and not feel so desperately sad when I think of a future we could have had.

Another thing is that almost everything I read, they say when you see the signs. I didn't. We were best friends at least in my opinion. So what did I miss? and if i can never get to the point when I think oh that's right, this wasn't right or I didn't like this about him will I ever be ok again? with the split I mean?
I mean must you see the areas or the signs? Is it possible that I missed them all and what the hell were they lol.

Ahhh, I say all this, but deep down I know that I'm actually a far better person for it. Sometimes I just wish that it had been someone else that I discovered this new me with - so I could then go on and marry him hahahah. The old him lol.

I do this every so often. All over, I'm good with it, but just sometimes that awful feeling comes back and I feel like its happening all over again. and then I stop myself from going there again.

I meet such lovely men, but this stupid fear comes over me and its not even that I'm scared they will hurt me. I'm actually terrified that I will hurt them - ands I do. Because I'm all receptive, have lovely dates with them, then I notice them getting a bit attached and I run a mile. and then spend weeks hating myself for hurting them.

I think I'm quite insane, and I'm ok with being a tad insane, I just never, ever want to hurt someone. Not even him.

See now I've totally talked myself out of it...and I'm good again.

And ready to help everyone else out lol. Why am I so good at telling people why they feel like they do, and that its perfectly ok to feel like that and yet with me I give myself such a hard time?

Anyway, I think I quite like being on my own for a bit. I no longer feel that I must be part of a couple and that anyone will do so thats a major positive. I do quite like myself, and I know I won't have a problem meeting plenty of people so I'm not scared about that.

Maybe thats an issue hahah. Maybe I just can't understand why he would do this to me

Phew I'm collecting issues like other people make bucket lists

Love and light and all that jazz lovely people.

xxx
Old 6th June 2010, 12:53 PM   #4
TheSteve

Just posted this in another thread but I think it's quite apt here in a "moving on" sense...

It’s a sad fact there are people in this world who are just out for themselves and pure bad luck if you chose one of these people to set up home with. They can put up a very convincing front when they want something. Life is too short and difficult as it is. You really don’t need these people around.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:09 AM   #5
georgie

very eloquently put !
georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 08:07 PM   #6
RayCub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD View Post
I meet such lovely men, but this stupid fear comes over me and its not even that I'm scared they will hurt me. I'm actually terrified that I will hurt them - ands I do. Because I'm all receptive, have lovely dates with them, then I notice them getting a bit attached and I run a mile. and then spend weeks hating myself for hurting them.
So, I've now caught up to you in this department...run, run, runnnnnnnnn...that's all I can think to do now. For the exact same reason.

Quote:
Why am I so good at telling people why they feel like they do, and that its perfectly ok to feel like that and yet with me I give myself such a hard time?
Cause that's MY job! Haven't you noticed yet that when one of us (you, me, G, Nic) takes a step back, the other is there to catch you?? It's like we're all taking turns!

Quote:
Anyway, I think I quite like being on my own for a bit. I no longer feel that I must be part of a couple and that anyone will do so thats a major positive. I do quite like myself, and I know I won't have a problem meeting plenty of people so I'm not scared about that.
You SHOULD like yourself!! You are the most FAB person I know!! My better-half!! lol. And I think it's amazing that we've reached the point that we enjoy being on our own now.

Quote:
Maybe thats an issue hahah. Maybe I just can't understand why he would do this to me.
Because he's a **** (our favourite four letter word here)!!! Plain and simple...

Love you so so much!!!!

You ROCK!!!!!! lol
xoxox
Old 8th June 2010, 03:07 AM   #7
RayCub

J...it's UGANDA!!! ahahahahaha
Old 8th June 2010, 10:48 PM   #8
JWD

hahahhahahahah That's right! Cool - we're off hahahhahahaha

Aww thanks guys for the lovely posts. I'm seeing counsellor again tomorrow. Feel better already

xxx
Old 8th June 2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Wedgewood

Good luck for tomorrow hun. Just go in and be completely honest. The more you give to your counsellor the less you have to carry.

Remember, there is no shame in counselling or asking for help. We all need a bit of help from time to time and it is great that you have recognised this fact. True friends will sympathise with you and encourage you on the road to recovery. Some get there quicker than others, because we are all unique. You WILL get there and tomorrow is a big step in the right direction.

Love you loads,

Mark
Wedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote