Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 28th September 2012, 05:28 AM   #31
1aokgal

Re: Hope Springs

Hi Chosen..

My husband just turned 58 and work to 65. His work is like the oil rigs..a supply ship w/small crew delivers supplies, containers to world ports. They are in port usually a day. His job is lonely, 24 hrs duty, and dangerous work. His ships pirated 2X in 10 years. He survived an engine room fire where two died and he got out. A high life policy was in order for this risk. True, he makes big money but also pays horrendous taxes. This amounts to more than the salary he made when we married.

Where did you get thought I needed/wanted a rich husband? Funny, idea! I paid cash for my home and bought a boat and my Mercedes sportscar with no input from a husband. I did send him an email to let him know about them later. I did not need his salary input on these items. I always worked and made the kind of money men usually make. I worked 60+ hours a week and held two jobs for years.

You and I disagree on one aspect..that a house is always joint property. This house is not part of marital assets nor is this a Community Property state. Since my house is titled "Femme Sole" with funds (proven no part of assets), it remains so. As a person who studied Law and divorced before, I would never risk losing assets in divorce. This is often addressed with a prenuptial agreement. One may protect property owned, but in a Non-Com state it is a given. If real estate inherited or clearly purchased Femme Sole, it is not open for debate ever in a divorce as marital assets. If a home is bought with joint assets, then it is joint by title.

I got it you think all property should be joint. There are countless women that thought as you do and marry men, who hunt them for their property. They wind up poor and wiser. They add his name on a title and did not cover the possibility of future problem to occur. I hear one woman spent 6 years with the next husband. He cleaned out her accounts and got half of her pricey home, though he cheated and lied through the time. She can't retire now at 65, but continue to work since her retirement funds were drained.

Another event, the woman dies and a husband inherits. The home then ends up marital property of a new 25 year old wife. The first wife dies without a will stating her part should go to her children, which was her desire. I cover that aspect for my children that my husband inherit a Life Estate in my home. It will revert to my children on his death. He can't put a lien/encumber or sell it or share it with a 25 year old. Yes, I am more about business and calculating risks than many, because I know both ends of the poverty spectrum from my middle 20's when I struggled to survive. Since I divorced in past, I know that I will never be complacent with my security.

My husbands' salary keeps the taxes paid and overhead for a large home and supports a decent life. I bought his new SUV from his salary recently and invested for him. I think he was lucky to snag ME, because I had the bucks! He also got a ticket through the door of the USA with me. I am the one who speculates and invests to earn security for future years. He is a "Worker Bee" and never considers all these aspects.

His mindset changed when diagnosed with Cancer 2009. He had 2 years battle with multiple surgeries, radiation and Chemo. If I was the "Lady of leisure" he wanted for me to just be the homemaker again, we would be in debt from medical bills portion NOT covered with health insurance. There was that money I saved for a "rainy day." It was then a rainy day. The bills were paid with ease and savings intact if he remains healthy. I had one fund for my painting trip to Tuscany. I may just go plein air paint to the mountains in upper Va. or a group trip to Maine. He is in remission over a year, but the risk of relapse is there. That means we work with purpose to make sure we are covered.

As an Insurance Broker (Insurance license), Realtor (licensed), I bought and sold investment property. I took the 2 years Paralegal courses (Certificate) and that knowledge paid off. Paralegal was a difficult course and I think I took it for my favorite brother who was an attorney when he died suddenly. There was 3 years as a Personnel Agency owner, but I hated the confinement and sold it.

It may be of interest for 8 years I was an active duty staff Officer in the Coast Guard Auxiliary. This was on the staff of a Navy Admiral at the nearby base. My boat with CG crew was under governement orders for Search and Rescue missions on the Chesapeake Bay. We inspected incoming boats, patrolled area bridges and waterways for drugs, contraband or protected the area to guard the Navy ships in port post 9/11. As a Cerified Instructor, I taught boating and Navigation classes to local boaters. As a certified Vessel Examiner, I awarded yearly inspection stickers to local mariners.

My friend still gives me grief as she is still active CG and I retired 5 years ago. She doesn't have a heart problem as I do. I miss everything about this time, being in uniform, the drills. the red tape, and most of all being a first responder in emergency situations.
We dispatched to Mariners in distress and as boat Captain that meant decisions that were life saving and critical to the moment. There was the Adrenalin rush of the work. I miss this time very much even today. It is good to look at the photos and certificates of service as well as the reminder of friends made.

Now I try to balance time with my Internet biz to find time to paint in oils to hang/sell in gallery. The internet biz gives me chance to operate in my creative zone. The items sell worldwide and many created from my work. It proves lucrative where a hobby turns into shipping worldwide. Since I'm home I swim here or meet friends for lunch or a movie. I'd say that is quality time. I don't need to schedule my day around another person, cook meals or chit-chat, when I would rather be in my studio painting. That is the plus of having an absent husband. I didn't know I would enjoy that so much.

He is home two months at a time, roles are reversed, since he cooks most elaborate meals and does many of the household tasks. That frees me to work or paint in my studio. We swim and hang around mostly or go walk/bike state park trails or boat. There is little that isn't here, so meals cook out to sit in the Florida room which overlooks the water is relaxing and fun. We travel day trips to interesting places.

He loves his work but likes to be home. He calls by Skype or cell, emails. His work and the lifestyle most women could not tolerate. I have adapted and I find I am glad when he leaves again. He is a decent man and Christian, but more Agnostic then not. We don't conflict over his choice. I don't regret loving him, but feel regret he is incapable to change some aspects which harm the relationship.
I leave it at that.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 28th September 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 29th September 2012, 09:52 AM   #32
chosen

I think what I meant was that it is vitally important to you to have lots of money, wheras to me it isnt and never has been. Family to me is the priority over money and being rich.
Yes what was my house is now our house, but we have always agreed that when we die it will go to my children because his house that he let his ex have, will go to his children. I have no fears of his cheating me on money, because he let his wife have their whole house, and she has never paid a penny towards it. Thats the sort of guy that he is, he trusts God for money and that God will restore all that we lost. He is such a content person and both of us are so easy to please and content with the small things in life that cost little.

In marriage all becomes joint in my opinion, no matter how rich one is and how poor the other is. Women can be equally as callous over marrying men for their money as some men are, but in the end, God will provide if we trust him, and rich people just cant grasp that need to trust God in that way, they always have that buffer of money that is their safety net. Its only when they loose it that they need to lean on Him for everything and they see how amazing that is. The only reason that I would like lots of money is to give some to my children and to chartities amd ministries. I have this strong desire to give and I love to bless others in that way.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 11:00 AM   #33
Raymond

Money can be a blessing Chosen, so long as you have it and it hasn't got you. Giving is a good test of where your heart lies. I had nothing when I gave my heart to Christ. I have tithed and given and you could almost say I have too much now. I could have a much bigger house etc. but we are happy in the one we are in. It is my hearts desire with a wonderful large garden and quiet to go with it. The problem I have now is how to use the capacity I have now in a wise way. I could give it all to one of my sons who is still struggling to get work but feel he should find his way and learn the value of money so that he does not waste it later on albeit I am paying the interest on his University loan and things like driving lessons etc.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 12:52 PM   #34
chosen

yes I totally agree that children need to stand on their own 2 feet and thats what mine have always done. They have all worked since 18,(even when my daughter did her degree she still worked part time), left home between 21 and 24, have always paid their way when they were at home, never asked me for anything, but I would love to be able to help them buy a home which where they all live is almost impossible unless you are a millionaire. That's what money means to me, to be able to bless them(and others)in that way. It was so much easier when we were young to be able to get on the housing ladder. My ex and I bought our first home when I was 20! Now adults generally are having to wait till their 40's before they can do this, and for many not even then. Its a BIG problem in the UK, where housing is so very expensive, especially in the South. I believe that we are one of the most expensive countries in the world for housing prices. Still I know that God will continue to bless them no matter what, because thats what He has promised. Nothing is to hard for him.

For me its good to have enough money for the bills and life necessities, but I have never been one who craves things that money can buy such as expensive cars, boats, cruises, massive houses etc . Really I am just not interested. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow we would keep our one and only nearly 4 year old Toyota because we like it, its reliable, and it goes, so why do we need anything else? We may buy a slightly bigger house, but thats all I can think of that we need. Things just arent important are they, in the grand scheme of things.

MY son and his wife have one car that is 19 years old. They have the money to buy a new car, but whats the point when that one still goes? As long as it carries on they will keep it. I am glad that all my kids are similar to me in that they dont crave money and riches and the trappings of riches. My son works for a Christian charity in IT. He would earn a lot more if he worked eleswhere, but thats where he feels he should be working.
My husband is the same as me, honestly he is just so happy and content what whatever we have, and he trusts God totally for everything.

Last edited by chosen; 29th September 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 29th September 2012, 01:43 PM   #35
chosen

Its very hard for a rich person not to let that become their security instead of God. Or their idol. I suppose thats why Jesus said how hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.

You hear so often about people who have lost money in the stock market, or in a financial crash, or because their buisiness has gone bust, who then kill themselves. Sadly they sometimes kill their whole family, because they just cant face life with no money or possessions, or with the shame, as they see it. That is the time when God wil come through, when all of their props are gone and He is all that is left. Thats when they will learn that God is their provider if they will only trust him and lean on Him. We need to remember that money and riches can be gone in an instant, and never rely on them for our security or well being.
Old 29th September 2012, 06:04 PM   #36
1aokgal

It is difficult for couples to buy a home here the last 10 years. I suck in my breath to hear what some pay for rent. Hard times means one becomes clever to save for what is important. I shop coupons, sales, discount stores or with discount grocery cards. I seldom shop except for essentials.

Working hard I can help my family. I will fund part cost for teeth braces for my granddaughter. My daughter earns a good salary, but the braces are crazy expensive. She can't afford this even working extra hours. My grandaughter is lovely and earns hourly model fee at the gallery for painters while I am there. She models items on my website. When I put money aside it is to fund my husbands' MED bills and to help the kids.

Chosen, you heard what you wanted to hear from what I said about living a decent life. Rich has never been important to me, as you assert! If that was true, I missed the mark by miles! You have a problem with my outlook since being on this forum! I suspect you may feel inadequate educationally. We aren't in competition, nor about our countries either. I believe the standard of living is higher than UK, and most world countries. It is crazy expensive to live in Europe. We lived overseas some years. There are urban ghettos, as well as massive estates here, but most Americans live moderate lives. Had we continued to live in Germany, our future would be a high rent glut of tiny row houses. My viewpoint on "having" is based on where I live and average life.

Whatever we enjoy is by hard work and sweat, nothing inherited. My boat bought with years paying for it and sacrifices made in other areas. It is a dream attained, and it has been committed to 8 yrs of CG rescue work. We live in a beach resort city where there are thousands of boat owners with marinas everywhere. There are few women boat owners though, and I was in an association with some. I am sure that is not common to your area.
My thinking was molded by a lifetime of very hard work and early deprivation.

Right now the world suffers economic woes. We are all in it. Home ownership is still a possibility, but now delayed. My best friend is rich...really rich...but my husband and I maintain slightly better than middle class since we both work. She shared money tips which definitely helped me make better money decisions. Having money to me means no bills stuffed in the mailbox. One can pay the overhead without anxiety. I made upward escalation in life when I worked my way through college at 35. Before that, my jobs were minimum wages and labor intensive. I worked two jobs for years. Insurance Broker days and Realtor, weekends and evenings.

My viewpoint on a decent lifestyle comes from being raised in a poor family. My father was a Naval officer, and my mother divoerced when I was 3. I hardly ever met him. She remarried later, but he drank and we lived quite poor.

I wouldn't wish my childhood on my worst enemy! I was physically beaten and suffered terrible emotional abuse, even to being locked in a dark closet. My mother would attack me physically right into my adult years. My husband, more than once, blocked her assaults. Despite that, I loved my mother and needed to prove myself.
I never had a room of my own until 14. We lived in rental military housing. That is like the urban ghetto. In my 20's it was a struggle to survive. I was briefly homeless and unemployed. One Xmas my children and I survived with charity of The Salvation Army to feed, clothe and have the most basic needs met.

That experience humiliated and damaged my psyche for all time. Picture Scarlet O'Hara in the field, when she raises her fist to Heaven to swear she will never be poor again. I had that similar epiphany moment, to stand among street people, to get a bag of food for my little kids. The husband of the time was with his barmaid GF. Money means many things to different people. One, is that where there is means, there are more choices possible. I am glad I managed to rise above a killing childhood and difficult life. Today with my husband, I could retire from work and enjoy life more. Unfortunately, with his illness a spectre and my deep-seated basic anxiety, that means I will always turn even a hobby to gain.

My daughter has a great work ethic. She graduated high school at 16, attended college years younger and worked while she went. She works for the police dept. since 18. As a policewoman, she earns city retirement benefits by 40. She is 37. She will continue work, but that is a good track record. She owns her very nice town home, two cars and supports herself. I do hate to see her work side jobs to augment her salary as she has to be on high alert for her job. To work a side security job and more hours could put her in danger.
It is hard to do things for her, as she doesn't want to take it. I can buy her a money card at her grocery store or send her a check. She is blasted prideful to do it all herself. It is worthwhile to have the means to help our children.

Raymond, you are very generous to pay the interest on the college loan. It is hard now for the young to make it. Many move home with parents for rents and the cost of living on low salaries. I'm sure he appreciates your help.

I have a young grandson in Colo. and I need to shop for him. The plan is to get a gift box mailed before Halloween as that is a pleasure to do. Maybe it is important to me to buy a couple new canvases to paint. That is being rich.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 30th September 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:19 AM   #37
Raymond

There may be poverty in the UK but most of them end up in reasonable housing provided by the state. If they don't work they get benefits. It's like two sectors. Private housing and state housing. Sometimes the state housing is better than the private housing. Also nobody has to pay for medical services because of the National Health System. Some say it goes too far because of a benefit culture producing those that don't work and don't choose to. Lots of people I know say it doesn't pay them to work as they get more drawing unemployment. So something designed to help can have it's problems when it is abused and produces unproductivity.

I'm glad that you enjoy your boat. Why shouldn't you? I owned a quarter of a sailing boat but didn't get the leisure to use it. The chap who arranged it sold it and bought a bigger boat. He now lives on the coast and enjoys his life there. Of course I got my quarter share back. The chap who is a facilitator at the schools marriage thing we go to practically lives on his boat. When I saw him he had a job taking the police on a sailing trip for team building. That life seemed right for him. We are all different. When I asked him how he lives he said he rents some houses out. If we are envious that could show that we are materialists. That's how communism started and there was nothing good about that.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:54 AM   #38
chosen

There is nothing wrong with enjoying life and what we have. We are just all different in what we like and seek. I have never been interested in such things as private swimming pools, boats. and expensive cars. I get sea sick, and after a day on a boat I would be bored. Thats just me. I have never seen the point in buying an expensive car. If you can get a good car that is comfy and reliable for a quarter the price then what is the point of paying so much more? My friends go on about 3 cruises a year.They love it. My dad and step mum used to go on cruises. I honestly would hate a cruise. If someone gave me tickets I would give them away. Days of looking at only the sea, far too much food, not being able to get away from people, noise etc etc. A holiday for me is a quiet beautiful place away from people and being able to spend time with my husband in the middle of nature and countryside, the coast etc.

Thats what I mean when I say that I am not interested in the trappings or life style of the rich. If I won the lottery(which I dont actualy do) I would give most away. I am blessed by giving. I love it. My life style just wouldnt change at all, because those things just dont interest me.
Things that matter to me apart from God, are family, friends, animals(I am passionate about animals, especially dogs)reading, wide open spaces, mountains, rivers, countryside villages, the coast, trees, the seasons etc etc. All things that cost nothing, so in that I am fortunate.

We are all different, and our values are all different, and what is important to each of us is different.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:32 PM   #39
1aokgal

Dear Raymond..

Wish we had the National health plan here for many fall through cracks of health care. There is something wrong with huge profits of pharmaceutical companies. The MED bills NOT covered with insurance are terrible. We will pay on my husbands' past surgery for next two years. A dear friend had his baby (20 yrs ago) in Acute care for 30 days and faced $600,000 hospital bills. He is a wonderful person and loved by collegues who held benefit events for his family. They paid off his huge medical debt.
This man enjoyed writing the checks to the childrens hospital. On faith, he quit his job, took a loan on retirement funds and formed a non-profit to help others. The association has great fun with an Octoberfest event this month. They sponsor golf, sports games, and huge parties for charity benefits. He is CEO, founder, and draws salary a salary now and benefits others.

He enlisted doctors/specialists who give free service to patients in need of medical services. This group of hard working people is called, "The Noblemen." If anyone has Gods' blessings, they do. He sent me a gift copy of his book last week, as I had urged him for years to write the story. The book and story is perfect proof that a man with a vision of good can bring about immense good.

It is sad to see many struggle here with an econemy gone sour. It is true with the whole world this is a difficult time. Most in US have anxiety on upcoming election, that we elect the right man. I won't vote for an Egalitarian super-rich candidate with money squirreled in foreign banks to avoid taxes. I won't enable a man to buy an election or put a cult religion in the limelight. Thomas Jefferson would roll in his grave on this one! So I guess you figure where my vote goes. One can only pray to do the right thing.

My favorite thing personally is the pool here and now there is 8 months of weather before that is reality again. I can go to the spa and swim but sure miss summer. One in five homes in our subdivision has an inground pool, so pools are common. The Swim & Racquet Club is for homeowners here without them, so they can buy family summer membership. It was my wellness plan to buy a home where I can swim every day. The marina, where the boat is kept inside, has a swim club, so we swim there in summer as well. This is a summer area and we don't do well with winter and cold.

When I was in the CG, gas for the boat was free, but no longer. darn pricey nowadays. We drop anchor in a nice area, cook dinner, and relax, listen to music and watch the dolphins. We use binoculars to follow boat life and shore activity. There are fabulous homes and scenes in that area. Raymond, you would love to see some of the sailboats here. They come from all over the world. Really great boats. We had Opsail this year with NATO ships here. The winter is not severe, as it is a summer oriented city.

Most of the homeowners on the coastal basin own large power boats or sailboats. It is visually a scenic wonderland. I consider to place the boat with a broker now, since it is unused when my husband is away so much. That equity and money spent on marina/upkeep could better to do things for the home. I spend most of my time with pool, animals and friends now. Too bad you didn't have time for sailing. I must say you are ever the gentleman on the forum and hearing your viewpoint is always helpful.

I would not enjoy a pricey shipboard cruise where it is all about food and people. One is trapped aboard. I'd sooner fly to destination and spend the money to see the area on the cheap. We most enjoy to bike/hike the state parks here. We live 3 blocks from a state park rec area with Lovely manmade lake and walking trails. Perfect place for joggers/walkers with our dogs to get exercise. I drive around the block with the dog and we get out and walk those trails.

http://www.virginia.org/Listings/OutdoorsAndSports/MountTrashmorePark/

My husband will be home this month, October, perhaps before the anniversary on 25th. It must be very hard for him to be on call 24 hours for the months they sail. It is a difficult life but his choice, not mine.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 3rd October 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:09 AM   #40
1aokgal

Hi Chosen..

I have never been on a cruise except harbor day cruises here with dinner aboard. We went on an Anniversary cruises along with others a few years ago. It is a great dinner cruise, music w/dancing and rose corsage for ladies. Basically, we like to get away from others but this was nice. It is reasonable cost and lovely scenery. So we agree on great outings are outdoorsy, away from crowds. My mother went on an Alaskan cruise once. She returned with awesome photos and stories. It was nice for her. I'd begrudge that much money to float around with a 24 Hr. buffet. We would sooner take a trip to nearby moutains.

There are lovely cabins in mountain area to see deer and wildlife off the balconies. These quaint little towns are full historical past with antique markets and old timey events. We have Smithfield, an hour away, and nothing beats a day browsing lovely craft shops. I love quilts and antique type hand mades. I love to see the ladies spin or browse the exquisite home-made quilts. My daughter and granddaughter spent 5 days there hiking and camping this summer. That is still my idea of a great time. I visited a fine animal center last week and came so close to bring one home. My daughter heard the story and said I am like the drug addict who should never visit a crack house. She meant that it is too hard for me to not want to have an animal that needs a home. This time I wrote them a check. I hope someone else adopts that cute little dog. So, we have a lot in common with loving animals.

Chosen, Maybe you never had opportunity to have better than you have. If only one is employed in the family, it is harder to achieve gain. Since I always worked and invested in real estate with rental houses, I rolled that gain into this home. No 30-year mortgage here! Most of our neighbors have huge house payments, which we don't. That is a huge advantage.

Since we live frugally, we can fund his retirement fund and easily afford to live decently. We didn't submerge in the sea of debt because of huge MED bills from his two years battle with Cancer. The Chemo treatments were thousands...we made it through. We have good insurance but in the states we pay a portion...a large portion when it is thousands. Even with a year unemployed during treatments, I had put savings aside from my business. I could write the checks and not have the knees buckle. The savings set aside for a rainy day made it through when it poured!

The analogy that comes to mind with your oft repeated outlook on advantage in life is from Aesops' Fables, "The Fox and the Grapes." The fox couldn't reach the grapes, no matter how high he jumped. It was above what the fox could manage. To save face, the fox convinced himself and the other animals he never wanted them anyway. The moral of the story is.....It is easy to despise something one can never attain.

True we are all different, but a rich man is not cursed by his wealth, nor a poor man made more saintly to wear rags. It is not where we set our desires, but how we regard what we have. Are we "blessed" to have more than many? If that advantage comes after back breaking work/effort, I would say it is a benefit of the work ethic, more than a blessing.
If one makes it through life in good health without developing illness.....is that a blessing? It may be a blessing, it may also be the reward of healthy living, diet and exercise. That may be a question of belief.

One who chooses to have less, may be satisfied with less, because they lack motivation to work for more! Maybe they are smug, who believes somehow that choice means they spurn material goods in favor of living precariously close to need. Again, maybe that is how we interpret things. I don't lust after Mr. Trumps' fortune but would not turn down a lottery win. I would not give away winnings from a winning ticket! I'm sure to share it with family and others. I know we seldom buy these silly tickets because gambling is not so attractive.
Every once in awhile when it goes high we give it a go!

Are homeless people happy to be where they are, because they don't have to work or be responsible? Or are they NOT blessed because they are somehow bad people? We could discuss this one awhile!

Last edited by 1aokgal; 2nd October 2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:10 PM   #41
Raymond

1aokgal you make your area sound like a paradise. I am sure it is beautiful with all the boats and open spaces. We have to travel for an hour or so to see such boats but that's okay. We don't need to see them all the time. Nobody in the UK is more than fifty miles from the sea. We have lots of historical stately homes around with beautiful grounds and gardens within quite short distances so one can take their pick. A hundred and twenty dollars will get you a free ticket for a year to visit all these wonderful places.

Like you I am a swimming buff and manage to keep pretty fit swimming at the public swimming pools plus tennis and walking. We go when the pools are arranged in lanes. Not many have their own pools here. Mainly because of space and probably the weather too. The private pools in peoples gardens here always seem too small to me. You take about four strokes and you're at the end already.
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:57 PM   #42
1aokgal

Hi Raymond..

The open spaces and lack of high rise buildings in this area is what is so great. The areas for outdoorsy people are plentiful. There is a new town center nearby w/high rise office buildings complex and pricey condos. There are about 12 restaurants in that area, plus uptown shops. This is a mecca in the evening for couples, but I'm glad it is not typical here.

I can think of nothing I would love more than to spend time to visit UK. We were in London 3 days, years back, and so wanted to stay longer. A history buff goes crazy there with so much to visit. Of course, there are stately homes there and exactly what draws most to movies about UK. How lucky you are to live in such a fine country! We made jaunts to 5 countries from Germany, where we lived, since rail travel is so easy/cheap. Where do you live..near London? Is it more city or rural?

Here there are private gyms everywhere with pools and Rec centers plentiful and cheap to join. Fitness is a national mania as we try hard to balance calories. We played tennis years back, but both of us were pretty pathetic, so it is biking and walks.

Our pool is pretty huge, but upkeep easier with a robowasher, like a water vacuum cleaner. The chems are pricey, but overall upkeep means we center at home. Americans are in love with their Barb-b-ques and there is a national passion to see who has a better one. Now they are even made in red with fancy knobs and rotate meat on a spit on top. The man is usually king of outdoor roasting! We all love cooking and eating outdoors. Some spend more on their outdoor dinettes than indoor. Since weather is great here it is warm eight months of the year.

I do think this area is akin to paradise. The drawback is that this port is reached only by sea or bridges. OMG, can there be traffic jams on those bridges! Construction improvements can shut down access for hours. We love our bridges, to see the sunset on the drive over, and despise them at peak hours.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 3rd October 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:16 AM   #43
Raymond

I suppose God meant the world to be a paradise in the beginning until the fall. Nevertheless we can still see the beauty of creation, even in just the sky and stars. It is always there and one cannot help but thank God for it.

Sounds like you might live near San Francisco 1aokgal or somewhere like that judging by the bridges. I used to live in London for many years. We now live in a medium size town say 90,00 people but growing fast it seems. There is easy access to countryside everywhere, even on foot. I am happy to be out of London even though it was right for the amount of time I was there. The centre of London is very historic but other parts can be testing. We were tested with loud music that made it very difficult to sleep. I'm put off Reggae for life I think. What a blessing to be released from that.

God gave us (annointed it to us in such a way that one knew it was God) a verse at the time from Isaiah 25: 4/5 which says "For the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall (literally was). You (God) will reduce the noise of aliens (they were) as heat in a dry place. As heat in the shadow of a cloud. The song of the terrible ones will be diminished."

Chosen what about your river move? Wouldn't it be expensive to live along the Thames?
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:18 PM   #44
1aokgal

Hi Raymond..

Yes, Raymond, a coastline but not SF (West) where I was 2 yrs. in my 20's. Paradise is all the months of summer on the East coast of Virginia. It is a city called Virginia Beach. This is a large military base area, home of the Navy ships, SEAL teams, and the jets. The NATO ships always come to city of Norfolk nearby. My father was retired Navy officer who retired here.

We are 35 miles from Williamsburg, which is a historical city restored to 1800's. The Colonial area has costumed reinactors and shops like when it was a British colony. This attracts world visitors with a Merchant Square straight out of Dickens era for Christmas events. My husband and I went on our first date, a day trip along with my then 3 yr old. We always go a few times when he is home. There is a fudge shop there to-die-for and scenery is beautiful. Do you like chocolate fudge?

VB is 3.5 hrs from Washington, DC, which is a great day trip to tour museums, monuments and hit Georgetown section of DC for the nightlife, street vendors and colorful galleries. Leaving by 5AM, we can see it all, and get home by midnight. Then there is the mountain drive for a longer way home. It is a beautiful area. I imagine it is cold now where you are located? Sounds as if your area is like this one, a short drive brings rural county with the farms. I love the country and avoid city life.

I sometimes go out and paint plein air in coutry area. Of course, we have water on all sides. I will take an good photo on my phone and paint it.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 3rd October 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 4th October 2012, 08:45 AM   #45
Raymond

I can see where you are on google map. You do have a lot of inlet waterways there. I can see why you have water in front and water behind. Why would one not have a boat there.

We don't have any water to speak of in our town. A few small rivers around. It is not really cold here yet. I was swimming in the sea weekend before last. Albeit with a wetsuit on although there were a couple of women just in bikinis swimming in my bay. Must be tough.

I had some fudge yesterday at work, not chocolate kind though. Someone brought a lot of it back from his holiday. I wouldn't eat too much of it though.

Tags
None