Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  

Go Back   2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums > Chapel > Christian Marriage

Old 23rd March 2008, 11:57 PM   #1
deby02

Unhappy Need help to discover faith as boyfriend won't

My boyfriend is a commited Christian, I am also a Christian but have never actively practised. Until now this hasn't effected our relationship. He is starting to get concerns about our future and I feel helpless.

I have openly expresssed a want to get more involved in the Christian faith throughout the relationship but don't know where to start, he seems to not want to help me as he thinks he would look like he's pushing me and tells me I need to do it by myself. I don't think he realises that I am not expressing an interest just for our relationship, I have had a tough few years and this has been in the back of my mind constantly.Whilst I understand what he means I actually NEED his help to do this. I am the opposite of confident so the thought of doing this on my own actually is the thing stopping me. That and not having a clue where to begin.

The whole situation has been giving me endless sleepless nights as the thought of losing him over this one issue that we seem to have cross wires on - no matter how much I explain to him -terrifies me as he is the only person I could imagine being with and would marry him tomorrow. I feel this is hanging over us when it shouldn't be like that.

Has anyone any advice on what I can do to help myself and how I can explain to my boyfriend how I'm actually feeling in a way that he will understand, as at the moment he is inadvertantly making me feel isolated from a faith I want to be involved in, and this isn't helping me feel any more secure in our relationship
Old 24th March 2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Dave
Administrator

Re: Need help to discover faith as boyfriend won't

Hi Deby

First let me commend your desire to explore - every journey starts with a single step, and it is clear you have already started the journey - if you hadn't, you wouldn't be posting such a message.

Can I suggest you contact your local churches and see is one of them is running some kind of "exploring course". There are three that are quite common: the Alpha Course, Christianity Explored, and the Emmaus Course.

If you can't find anything running locally, then try dropping into a local christian bookshop and ask for some help finding a book to help you explore - the people who run such shops are usually only to happy to help.

Good luck

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Raymond

Re: Need help to discover faith as boyfriend won't

I understand where your boyfriend is coming from Deby. Faith is really between you and God and he wants you to have your own faith. Not to beat about the bush it is about a relationship with the son. Through Him we come to the Father. That is the key to all christian faith. He will come in to you if you believe and ask Him to. He already paid the price that this could be so. I really pray that you will be able to do this and receive all that He has for you.

Raymond
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote