Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  

Go Back   2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums > Chapel > Christian Marriage

Old 27th March 2008, 12:16 PM   #1
penny

Married for 6 months,husband doesn't want God...

Hi

Been married for 6 months. I'm a chrisitan, husband before marriage made a commitment to God and we knew where we stood with things. Had discussed how we wanted to bring children up, in a christian family and how we wanted to live our lives generally. We've been trying for a baby since the wedding but not yet fallen pregnant... now he's suddenly announced he doesn't feel going to church and God is for him and he doesn't want to have anything to do with anything related to God. He's also mentioned he doesn't really mind about the children being bought up in church or not. I feel like my whole world has crashed around me! How can I be with someone that doesn't share my belief in God. And what do I do about children, I don't feel as though I can bring a child into this world with myself and husband fcing two different ways of life. Our different lives are already starting to clash...HELP. I ultimately want to serve God and don't believe divorce is an option...but what do I do about my life now, what do I do about children?

Sorry it's so long, really need some advice.

Many thanks
penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Raymond

Re: Married for 6 months,husband doesn't want God...

It appears you may have been deceived Penny. Either that or he is falling away very quickly. Did you read the signs or did you ignore them because you loved him?

However it is not the end. Your children will be pure because of you. The bible promises us this. If you continue to follow Christ it is possible he will be won over by your life (not your preaching) but this is not guaranteed.

The situation looks hopeless but it is not. God's hand is not shortened. All things work together for good to those who love God to those who are the called according to his purpose. Maybe a mistake was made but it can work for good if you let it. You can grow strong within it. He has agreed that the children can join you in the church when they arrive. You will not be the only one who is in this type of marriage. It is harder, but God can give you special strength.

Raymond

Last edited by Raymond; 27th March 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Micou

My best advice in this situation would be to pray to God about it. Find some quiet time when you won't be disturbed and just open up to the Lord that you need to offer up your situation to him. Trust me, I have seen so many miracles in my own life because of the power of prayer and, as one of my favourite preachers loves to say "once you've put God in charge of the problem, get your hands off of it!"

Our God is an amazing loving caring tender - and don't forget, jealous God too! Offer your husband up in prayer to him - completely empty your heart to him about how you are feeling about this situation. Whenever you feel your doubts creeping back in, thank the Lord for the situation and for the opportunity to share it with Him and then thank Him for taking care of the situation - in His own way and in His own good time.

Let us know how you get on.

(((HUGS)))
Micou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 07:05 PM   #4
Sierra

Perhaps you should try things from his perspective. Apparently he has woken up and realized that religion is a whole lot of baloney.

How that can affect your marriage is beyond me. If he is a good husband, why does it matter whether or not he pays homage to something that does not exist? Would it be ok for him to divorce you if you suddenly announced that you did not believe in the easter bunny?

You seem to assume your way of living is better than his. Lots and lots of us would disagree and in fact believe you have a mental illness with respect to your "worship". Perhaps you should realize that your way is just one way, and lots of others are valid too.

As a lifelong athiest and knower that there is absolutely NOTHING out there, I can tell you that the kids will be fine.

S

P.s. Also, if you want to get absolutely technical, isnt this likely to be gods will anyway (if you believe that sort of thing). I mean, taken to its logical extension, clearly your god wants you to live with a man who does not believe in him. Whats so wrong about that, especially if that is what your god wants?

Last edited by Sierra; 29th March 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:05 PM   #5
MissonWorker

Hi Penny

It sounds like your hubby may feel like the church let him down and therefore doesn't want it. The thing is when we are Christians we are saying that we are Christ like. So how do you think Jesus looks at your husband? If Jesus were standing beside you what would he do? Sometimes we are the only "Jesus" example people will ever see. So if Jesus could influence so many to follow him and we are trying to be like him maybe we can influence others into believing that Jesus is Awesome and that his Love beats all by the way we treat others, it may be that your husband will start to trust Jesus because of what he is to you and what he has made you into. Jesus Loved people and that was the biggest motivation for people to follow him.

Plead the Blood on your husband everyday. Ask God for Wisdom and try to react in love when he is negative. They say honey is more pleasing then vinager. God Bless
MissonWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 08:42 AM   #6
GHYVR

Can I interject here?
Whats the big deal? Do you love him? Does he love you? Your kids will be fine if the answer to both of those is yes.

I am not religious, but I know many friends that are. They are mixed religions, some Christian and the others not,
many even atheist.

Raymond, with the "Your children will be pure because of you" remark, isn't that what the Muslims other religious factions believe as well? You don't see anything wrong with that?
Aren't wars fought over similar remarks?

Penny, "Plead Blood?" A little drastic don't you think? This isn't the end of days.

Whether Penny's husband was Christian or not before they got married, it doesn't really matter. So allow me speak perhaps from your husbands point of view. If I had a wife constantly preaching and trying to change my ways (in a religious preaching sense), Id' run for the hills.

Raymond said it best "If you (Penny) continue to follow Christ it is possible he will be won over by your life (not your preaching)", this would be the best choice, that is, coming from a non religious point of view.

Your children will be brought up Christian, so whats the big deal? Is it that your simply let down that your husband has simply shrugged it off as no big deal? It's not the end of the world. If he is a good husband, will be a good father and you have love respect for one another, what more could you ask for.

Ghyvr