Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  

Go Back   2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums > Advice > Marriage Help

Old 2nd January 2009, 01:42 AM   #1
aperson

Are there any happily married people here?

Hi There,

I have been reading through this forum and many others online and can find very little in the way of postings from happily married people. Everyone seems to have problems of one sort or another and anyone thinking about getting married would be severely put off by reading all this stuff - it's like the internet as a whole is an advert for not getting married!

I am married, have been for 5 years now and mostly very happy but also have our own set of problems - I was hoping to find loads of potings from happily married people, sharing their "secrets" and stories of how they manage to stay happy in long term marriages, but alas, it appears that either these people are so happy being maried that they dont post to forums or they simply dont exist.

Are there any happily married people out there?

Talk to us - tell us your stories.... please?
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Ginger God

Re: Are there any happily married people here?

I have been single now for three years and loving every minute of it.
My kids stay with me half the week so Im a full time Dad for that period and time to myself the other half.
Before I go on I wouldnt wish marriage break up on any kids but my wife was cheating on me so she paid the price and my kids have come out of this pretty unscathed because both parents love them to bits.
The problem with relationships nowadays is that folk dont try hard enough and the chase of the skirt for men....and women..although they dont chase skirt!..is exciting and is an escape from the humdrum of marriage.
I know for a fact that within my office if I did a straw poll of who was happily married you would be lucky if 25% said they were.
But the grass isnt greener..its just a different type.
I think though this site is a place to share problems..folk who are happy within their relationship wont be found on here praising marriage..they have better things to do.

Graham
Ginger God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:29 PM   #3
aperson

Thanks Graham, as I suspected - all the happy people have got better things to do with their time I am thinking that it would be great for those of us with "issues" to be able to learn from them - it is said that if you rub shoulders with a certain type of person then you tend to become more like them - so I am wondering where the 25% hang out when they are not staring lovingly into each others eyes and having red hot sex
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:51 PM   #4
clockwork orange

Here's a happily married person! Don't be so sure about women not chasing skirt though - that was my downfall a few years ago.

Tips. Well, there are lots of those scattered throughout all the threads. One of the wonderful things about forums like this is that not only do we support those who are having difficulties (whatever they choose to do about it), but we can also learn from our own and each others mistakes.

I think one of the biggest issues in any marriage is communication in all its guises. Men and women simply do not communicate in the same way, so we have to learn how to do this in ways we both understand, and also in ways that don't threaten/denigrate the person and integrity of the other. This is where marriage courses/counselling come into their own I believe. The HTB Marriage Course is one I can highly recommend to any couple - happily married or not - it was certainly the turning point for us.

Hope that is upbeat enough for you??? Hee hee.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:59 PM   #5
aqua

Hi clockwork

Good to hear you've a happy marriage.

You hit the nail on the head there with your post - communication, learning from mistakes and one of the most important factors of all...both partners wanting to repair the marriage and make it work.

I had none of the above and look where I am...almost divorced !

Funny thing is I am enjoying life as a singleton, never thought I would.
aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Raymond

I am very happily married aperson. You have to realise that people come on here because of a problem so this is not a normal reflection of society. I don't know of anyone who is not happily married in my church which goes into about five hundred couples counting the different gatherings.

Marriage is fantastic and Godmade and if it is your calling there is no other way to live. As it happens I have been in ecstasy last night which has overflowed into this morning but I will not go into the details. When people are faithful and try to love the rewards are amazing even if you do get problems. Working together everything can be overcome.

Raymond
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Ginger God

Raymond..there is a fundamental difference between yourself who is a church goer and a believer..and other folk like myself who do not believe...I find it hard to believe that just because you have faith in God yoy have a fab marriage.

Graham
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Raymond

Personally I have to put it down to that Ginger God. Not to say that an unbeliever cannot have a good marriage or that a believer necessarily has a good marriage. These things have to be worked out and for me it made all the difference. I didn't stand a chance with my background. No parents. Suffered abuse in orphanages. I was on the road to nowhere. I couldn't even relate properly being a loner and prone to fantasies. Becoming a christian put my feet on solid ground able to partake of God's strength. Nothing to do with church going. That is just the result of it. It's a relationship with a person when you get to the bottom of it. Someone who said I have come that you may have life and that more abundantly (overflowing).

Raymond
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Ginger God

Raymond I was hoping you wouldnt take my comments the wrong way and you didnt.
Im chuffed for you mate well done.
I would add though that Im blissfully happy being single and my life with my two kids who are 14 and 12 couldnt be better.

Graham
Old 7th January 2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Ageing Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
As it happens I have been in ecstasy last night
Love this!!

Actually - great, loving sex is like a 'religious experience' isn't it?
We turn to forums when we have a problem to solve, not to ramble on about how blissfully content we are. We probably think we'd sound like we're bragging (or tempting fate)!

What I most like about this forum is the way insights shine through. Every member learns something - whether from others or their own journey - and shares something - that enhances our partnership skills & appreciation of true love.
Ageing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Raymond

Good for you Gingergod.

Grace you do pick up on obscure things but I can't give you the details of course except to say that the earth was moved the other night.

Raymond
Old 7th January 2009, 04:40 PM   #12
dave123

This turning into a right love in! Ray you're definitely bragging here by why not!!

Good on you. At least i know what to aim for in the future...
Old 8th January 2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Raymond

I'm not bragging Dave. Aperson was wondering whether there were any happily married couples on here. The bedroom addition was just and extra confirmation as it was fresh in my mind and was too good not to mention. All part of married life.

Raymond
Old 8th January 2009, 03:52 PM   #14
dave123

I know you're not bragging, i was just having a bit of fun! Good on you for being happy, it's an inspiration.

Dave
Old 9th January 2009, 06:37 PM   #15
MarkTwain

I am happily married. I have to echo Raymond somewhat and say a lot of it is because the sex is good. Sex is huge for me. It was my birthday the other day, and my wife made areal effort to give me a good time. We had sex in the afternoon and later in the evening. Both times were a mind blower.

I notice a lot of people on here complain about sex, but don't do anything about it. I would be hopping up and down if I were in that position.

I go out of my way to make my wife happy. I try to make her feel cherished by doing little things for her. Another thing I force myself to do is give her space even when I would rather be cuddling her or at least be in the same room. She is the type that needs space. Not every woman does.
MarkTwain is offline   Reply With Quote