Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  

Go Back   2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums > Advice > Wedding & Engagement Help

Old 13th May 2002, 08:11 PM   #1
Unregistered

I don't want to do the usual proposal--any ideas?

My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting married for a few months now. We have just completed a marriage preparation course, but we haven't decided on a date and he has not "officially" proposed to me, yet.
A few weeks ago, we talked about it and I told him that I thought it was pointless for him to surprise me with a proposal since he already knows that I will say yes. Also, I don't like the suspense of waiting and wondering when he will propose and he doesn't like the pressure of knowing when is the right time to propose.
We're trying to come up with a way to do it. We're both very shy and neither of us likes to be the center of attention.
I had two ideas:
1. Have a dinner with the priest, our parents, the best man and the groom and have the engagement ring blessed as well as the two of us. I don't like that idea because it will mean us being the center of attention again and I'm sure he won't like that one either.
2. After Mass, ask the priest to bless us. I'm more leaning toward this idea.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Also, what can I get for him as an engagement present?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 18th May 2002, 12:33 PM   #2
Dave
Administrator

What a lovely challenge!!

OK - it seems to me there are two parts to your challenge here:-
- you want not too much fuss
- you want something special, but no surprises....

So, why not think about what you might both find romantic, and then plan to do this together. For example:-
- what about booking a day trip to Paris and going to the Eifel Tower - with a clear agreement that he will propose to you at the top. Perhaps one of the tourists could take a picture of you there! Then a nice meal for the two of you and back home?
- if you like the outdoors, take a trip to say Snowdonia or the Lake District - climb one of the hills together with the agreement that he'll propose to you on the summit.
- If those kind of ideas don't appeal, what about a trip to see a show, perhaps splashing out on a box, with the agreement that he'll propose to you in the interval?

The idea is that you agree specifically when it will be, and that you make it a memorable occassion that will mean something special to both of you in the years ahead. You can still then have a blessing of you (and your ring) with as much or as little public ceremony as you feel comfortable with.

As for the engagement present - I really don't know what sort of thing (or price) you might have in mind. I guess that you want to find something that will be of value for some time, and will help tie you together as a couple. What about a nice camera, or perhaps a piece of furniture for your new home??

Have lot's of fun!!
Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2002, 07:28 PM   #3
Unregistered

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you very much, Dave! That's a great idea! I love the outdoors and we live close to Lake Tahoe. I'll talk with him and we'll come up with something. Thanks again!