Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 4th October 2012, 09:48 AM   #46
1aokgal

Re: Hope Springs

Hi Raymond..

!0 minutes drive and there is the ocean or water. There are thousands of boats of all kinds. Big sailboats from the world come here and then sail down south around Florida area. Since we are all sides bridges there is vigilance to keep them safe. This is major Navy port installation. Boats of all description. Then there are the kayakers for the lake areas here. Water sports of all kinds. We get the snow birds who vacation from NY and parts north..many Canadians.

The fudge. Didn't know if you ate that! Big thing here, also candy red or caramel coated apples in October.
Halloween is huge with parties for kids with costumes, like carnival, and getting candy. The significance is long lost and is about the harvest and food and having fun. Guess they don't have that there?

Yes, wetsuit time here too except for some hardy surfers. Oh, the fudge..Yes, we always buy some pieces when up Williamsburg way. There is the fife and drum corp, the wig shoppe, the
basketry shop and all the Colonial life one would see in 1800s'. You can sit in the pillory if
you are a bad boy or ride in a carriage there pretty cheap.

This is year round Colonial town with every house owned they have a code. No modern stuff, cars, to be seen from street side during operating hours. All must be authentic. Costs nothing to walk and look and if one wants to eat in old timey taverns it is wonderful. The Govenors palace and attractions are with day ticket. Over a million tourists each year and many from Europe.
Old 4th October 2012, 06:40 PM   #47
Raymond

Yes Halloween got here from the States but it is somehow more connected to horror underneath it over here. Originally it came before the feast of All Saints (All Hallows) on November 1st and was an occultic opposition to christian things the evening before (hence Halloween). You get children coming up to your door dressed as witches or gouls begging for money, trick or treat kind of thing.

I'm sure it is not like that there and is just used for parties etc. but that is the background.

Yes we have fudge over here. Isn't that quite fattening?

Are you saying that a lot of Canadians come to your Paradise town?
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 11:51 PM   #48
1aokgal

Here Halloween is like the cartoon, Casper the Friendly ghost, by Disney. Some homeowners go all out and make a place on the yeard with a complete little mini lit up graveyards with hanging witches, moss and little cardboard gravestones. The whole things is so weird and fun and has no attachment to evil, satanism, or dark stuff (lost long ago) although the kids say,"Trick or Treat." It was big when I was a kid. Some of my childhood best memories was the trip going fast to go to neighbors houses and get candy dropped in our sacks. Kids all show off carefully chosen costumes... now as space men, comic characters as Batman, and movie silly heroes.

When I was young, all the kids in the neighborhood hit one guys' house. He had biggest and best show right down to spooky music and effects. There was spooky stuff hanging as scary ooo-gah sound to open his fence gate and stuff that jumps out. There were lanterns with faces, flying ghosts on the roof, hanging moss and nasty hanging fake spider webs with big comic spiders. The guy had to buy huge stock of candy with his house being the Mecca for all the kids.His place was the top best!!! Each year it was better. He would have painted green face and faky teeth on and wife dressed up. They were dressed silly and a bit scary and fun for kids.

One year my friend and I got there just as the family ran out of candy. We still got to see his great stuff. He was so chagrined to disappoint a couple kids, his wife insisted we take a piece of cake she baked (little ghosty figures on it) they made for family. It was so nice and fun for us.

The family came out and sat with us and parent on his porch with pumpkin candles, to eat cake with us. He was a school teacher, so knew most of the kids by name. A great memory of nice time for kids. Adults usually travel along with kids with lanterns, flashlights and little light-up sticks to watch kids go up to houses and ring doorbells so kids are safe. The time runs from about 7-8:30PM here. Sure can run through bags of candy in that time as each kid gets a treat. I usually hit the dollar store and buy bags of stuff for this event.

The significance of Halloween as long since been lost although it is a big excuse for one big party! Is fudge fattening??? OH boy, is it! Pure cholate and sugar and flavors makes a pretty big sugar high. It is a bite or two piece treat. I had a cookie in Germany that was pure joy. It was almond paste dough and a center with sugary cherry. Yup, good stuff, but suicide!

We have huge influx of Canadians here because this is best beach resort on east coast . It is midway to Florida. There are amusement parks, water parks, surfing and art exhibits and every month has festival or events year round. Summer is best, but lots to do here, and area has fine accomadations for a reasonable family vacations. The NY and NJ beaches are often polluted, so they come here with clean area. It is a fine area.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 5th October 2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:18 PM   #49
Raymond

No doubt it is a beautiful area with clean beaches.

We never ever celebrated Halloween with our children as we had reservations about it. I think sometimes there is something more behind it. Perhaps not openly but I reckon some occultists etc. do take it seriously so one has to be on their guard.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:59 PM   #50
1aokgal

Here Halloween is one big party for adults and children with school parties. There are a couple farms here that sell the big pumpkins to display on the porcha and cut out grinning faces into lanterns. They sponsor hayrides, bobbing for apples and sack races, animal petting. There is the costume contest.

There are some occultists who probably hold witches sabbath or whatever. There is that element regardless. Just as Hollywood makes movies with dark themes, there are people who practice for real.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 7th October 2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 6th October 2012, 09:04 PM   #51
chosen

When I was young nothing was done about halloween. Sadly it came over here some time ago, and now the shops are full of awful goulish costumes and axes and devils forks and witches broom sticks. We never let our kids have anything to do with it, but many churches have alternative hallowen parties now so that the Christian kids dont miss out. Witches and satanists do think of this day as special for them.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 04:11 AM   #52
1aokgal

I'm really glad my parents let me have the fun to go with other kids in the neighborhood to the carnivals, church hall festivals, and super Halloween parties, plus a couple hayrides that gave me great childhood memories. Neither my siblings, nor my friends ever ended up as card carrying members of a local witch coven! It did us no harm to drag home our pumpkin carved lanterns, silly costumes and bags stuffed with candy from our forays door-to-door to other parents houses, who gave out the goods for kids, to have the fun of this yearly event. It was sheer joy, once a year for a couple hours, as we knocked on others' doors and showed off our unique costumes.

Our shopping malls got into the fun of it by adding giant kid Halloween events along with costume contests. We usually saw a few scary movies that week about ghosts and goblins and Casper the Friendly Ghost was a popular costume. There was competition for the craziest costume creations. We saw some real artist created ones, like Frankenstein and other monster movie costumes.

My children had a few costumes that were special. Since I was not well off at that time, I once took down my kitchen curtains...white ones with thin red stripes and little red bauble trim. I sewed a great clown costume for my 4 yr old son. He wore a wig (made crazy standing up on end) with silly stuff in it and a bright red plastic nose. That look got him a ribbon mention for his costume!

There were no curtains for awhile, until they could be replaced with new. My son kept the that cute photo in his album along with other fond family photos. It wasn't so much about Halloween, as the sacrified curtains that made it a good memory.

Christians have been known to be somewhat intolerant. After all, in Massachussetts Colony, they burned little old ladies for cooking with herbs grown in their gardens. A few who nursed the sick with medicines they applied for healing were pretty suspicious too. Likely, it was their fault if the cows didn't give a lot of milk or it rained often and the crops didn't grow as well. So many were hanged or burned at the stake it seems families could offload senile relatives in one clean sweep.

America loves scary movies, Stephen King books and Halloween.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 7th October 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 7th October 2012, 04:15 PM   #53
chosen

The Uk also loves Stephen King and horror and scary movies, believe me. I dont agree that trying to obey God and do the right thing is intolerance. If it is, then we maybe should copy the world in all things? Our deputy prime minister recently called people biggots who didnt go along with gay marriage! So do we start being tolerant of things like that as well or stand up for what we believe in? I just never felt comfortable with my kids going to anything to do with halloween, so I didnt let them. That was my choice based on what I felt the Bible says about not having anything to do with witches and wizards and sorcery, and they went to church run parties instead. We all need to follow what we feel is right no matter what others do surely.
Old 7th October 2012, 07:17 PM   #54
1aokgal

Perfectly agreed. One mans' trash is another mans' treasure.

I said that Christians who hung or burned neighbors at the stake were intolerant. You think that is NOT intolerant? The men and women persecuted were selected sometimes to get their land/farms or for gain. It was group hysteria that killed others. So the ones who swore false testimony were trying to do the right thing? Remember the "Thou shalt not kill?" You question my using the word "intolerant" in exactly an example of extreme bogotry and hate.

One can be Christian and have fun, pass on good knowledge to the children, and maintain integrity. Ms. Rowling, now one of the richest authors, used the wizards, magic theme to advantage to charm children worldwide. Were your children among a very few who never saw the Harry Potter movies? Americans kids love Potter and scary movies! My husband adores Harry Potter films.

My personal opinion of the gay marriage debate is posted on the forum. Perhaps, I believe there should be contractual partnership agreements to deal with property issues and Living Wills to protect partner rights, but marriage is a sacrament instituted by God. There was a couple yesterday and one shows beautiful artwork at the gallery. They are together 30+ years and I respect their union. I just don't see a marriage would be acceptable.

Frankly, I was shocked out of my tree that Massachussetts, an intolerant state, approved gay marriage! As other states and other countries slide into an avalanche of being "politically correct" they move closer to devastation of morality overall.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 8th October 2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:35 AM   #55
chosen

My children were past the age of Harry Potter books when they came out(thankfully), but no I wouldnt have let them read them for the same reason as halloween because it dabbles in things that we are forbidden by God to get involved in. I believe strongly that God says that for a very good reason. I appreciate how popular they are, but often we need to 'go against the flow' as it were. Same as with all those new programmes/flims that are obsessed with vampires, its all going the same route sadly.

I suppose that I disagree that we cant have fun unless we get involved in such things.
IN the UK we have fireworks night on 5th november, which is the main autumn celebration. I have such happy memories of that night as a child with bonfires and fireworks and hot soup, and we always took my kids to displays or to friends houses to enjoy that evening. There are so many other things to enjoy that are good for us.

If those people you mentioned had been true believers they would not have hung or burned people.

The uk is in the middle of 'debating' gay marriage. Sadly our deputy leader is greatly in favour(he isnt a Christian)but there is a lot of opposition, not only from religious groups, but from ordinary people. Even many gays oppose it. They already have civil partnerships, so legally they are protected. I will be very sad if it gets approved and voted in. Its just one more attemnt to try to oust God from life, and I can only see the UK suffering if it goes through.
Old 8th October 2012, 03:39 PM   #56
1aokgal

Hi Chosen...

I see Harry Potter books and such in the realm of fantasy, like other fairy tales. Red Riding Hood is fantasy, but the analogy is that danger waits for her in the woods as she faces this. Children love the stories and learn life lessons. My daughter heard "Jack in the Beanstalk" so many times! I still groan to think of telling it again as I did bedtimes 37 years ago. I think you are extremist in your views of danger in such fantasy, but I don't fault that you/every parent has the right to make that decision. We come from different cultures. Yours seems more conservative, that's all. Not that one is more right.

History shows that men have killed others in Gods' name. They think they are the best of Christians, as they did in the persecution of innocent people, over the witchcraft belief. Those who hoped to escape religious prejudice and persecution for their faith, carried it right along with them to the new world.

The gay marriage debate is to me rather amazing. I have to shake my head in disbelief and liberals are wrong to agree such laws should be passed. That means the mule is already out of the barn in many states. This law is likely to landslide everywhere. What does that say about our society? I can respect choices in contractual protection for partners, but not marriage. I was personally offended and disappointd when prayers were removed from schools and civil assemblies! When even a moment of silence wasn't deemed important.
I wish society remained as innocent and simplistic as it was when I grew up. Today is pretty threatening and sad. Our grandchildren are faced with more complex issues.

The world is in bad shape morally. I guess Christians have to choose their battle grounds to make a difference. I am more concerned right now with other dangers . I guess that law will be a given...though opposed to all of my belief system. War in the middle east seems a bigger issue for the world right now.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 12th October 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:01 PM   #57
Lost

It's a shame, Raymond that this movie is no longer available at cinema.

I will look out for DVD when it comes out.

Thank you for your lovely thread.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:01 AM   #58
Raymond

Thank you Lost. The thread drifted a bit. You should be able to get the DVD soon or maybe catch it at some cinema. I thought frankness between couples when it was needed is a good thing, as shown in the film although it took a counselor to get it out of them. One can be frank without being crude.
Old 19th November 2012, 02:41 PM   #59
Lost

Thank you Raymond.

I'd love to see the film as it's also a comedy.
Thank you for your words of deep wisdom.

Tags
None