Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 10th August 2006, 03:03 PM   #1
emma

Hi New to this

Hi

I'm new to this website and i'm wondering if someone can give me advice. My fiance and me decided last year that we would get married abroad.

However after going to a couple of weddings this year i am changing my mind. His main concern is the cost over here and i was wondering if anyone has any advice for how to budget and still get the day you want.

if not can anyone help with advice on getting married abroad.

Starting to feel a bit stressed as its meant to be happening next year. And my parents are not keen on the going abroad thing.

Any advice would be great.

Emma
Old 11th August 2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Kate

Re: Hi New to this

Dear Emma

Getting married abroad may seem cheaper, but it will be more expensive for your guests and will probably limit those who can come.

As to the cost of getting married in this country, then there are certain costs which can't be changed, such as the charge made by the church or register office. Why not consider what your priorities are. Perhaps list the things that are most important, eg having all your friends and family there, the number of bridesmaids, making your vows to each other, the honeymoon, buffet or sit down meal etc. Then decide on your budget and work out where you can cut corners.

One thing to remember is that your wedding day is simply that - one day in your life. You will only remember some of it and it won't really make a huge difference to your married life together. For me after over 25 years it is the ceremony and the promises that we made that I remember most rather than the reception or even who was there or what the dress was like. If you can keep things in perspective that this as about your future life together rather than a big occasion that will fade in your memory, then you may well be able to have a wonderful day within your budget.

Why not also include some marriage preparation in that budget, investing in your future together.

There is a really good book here that not only looks at how to plan a wedding but also looks at your relationship too. Why not consider getting hold of a copy.

All the best

Kate
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 10:31 PM   #3
mia misty

Dear Emma getting married abroad only really saves you one the reception hall or whatever you plan on doing after the wedding. The dress you can buy when they go on sale for under $500.00 or less. They look just as good as the more expensive dresses. You could have an outside wedding reception with tents and tell everyone to bring a covered dish instead of a present you will save a lot of money. Besides how many blender do you really need. Check prices of all the places around you. You can have your big day without spending thousand and thousands of dollars.
Old 15th January 2007, 11:47 PM   #4
MPM

Hi Emma

I know people who've done both to varying degrees of happiness.
Ultimately if you decide to wed abroard you have to accept that not everyone will be able to afford to go so it's a toss up really. Is it more important to share your big day with everyone you want to be there, or is it more important to have the wedding that you and your H2B want? It's a toughy but I;m sure you'll make the right decision for you.