Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 3rd May 2010, 02:44 AM   #1
forfree

going through the divorce process

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone can give me some Christian advise as I'm going through a very difficult and high conflict divorce. I married a man that I believed to be Christian and shortly into the marriage the physical abuse started. There has also been much emotional, verbal and spiritual abuse as well. Anyway, he was charged with assault and I have filed for divorce. There has been no possibility of reconcilliation as he is not remorseful and blames me for the breakdown of the marriage. Currently we are going through the divorce courts and believe me his tactics prove to me over and over again that he is not repentant. I put a large sum of money down on the house and bought almost everything in the house and I believe due to the short duration of the marriage (less than 5 years) that I should be entitled to more than half of the marital assets. I'm prepared to go to trial to fight for what I feel is mine and feel that it will be another abuse for him to benefit from all the money I contributed during the marriage. There also was much deceit prior to our marriage that I fould out after he was arrested and if I had know the truth I would not have married him. Am I wrong to fight for my money or should I give in to him wanting half of everything?
Old 3rd May 2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Raymond

Re: going through the divorce process

I say fight for what you can. He deceived you it seems but you were gullible as well and are paying a cost for it. I don't see why he should prosper from you after deceiving you. The biggest mistake was marrying him and you will probably lose a certian amount but try and limit it as much as you can.

Raymond
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 04:15 AM   #3
chosen

Pray about it. My husbands first marriage ended after 23 years when she had an affair and divorced him, She was determined to have their house at all costs, even though she had never financially contributed to it ever. My husband is a very godly man and felt so strongly that God wouldnt want them to go to court and fight about it, so he, wait for it, let her have the house and everything in it.
God has blessed him amazingly for his faithfulness and obedience and he now has a very happy life and marriage with me, and she is now alone 5 years later, her lover never having asked her to marry him.
You need to be clear in what God wants you to do. Ask Him to make it clear.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Jeff Childers

Doing What is Good - Titus 3

1Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.
3At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone. 9But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. 11You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

God asks us to be an light(example) to those around us. He doesn't ask us to be a doormat.

And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

– Matthew
21:12-13

Jesus actions I believe was aimed at the greed of these people. They defiled the temple with there actions. I suggest looking in the word and see what truth you can find concerning greed. Let god guide you weither it is your greed or his.

My View
The court system is design to be just. If you go in with fangs bared or not. It will still deal with the situation the same because that was what it is designed to do. If you give away your rights the courts will allow you to do so. Listen to your attourny that is why you pay him or her.