Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 22nd February 2005, 09:31 PM   #1
strawberries

advice on marriage please

hello
i have met a man who is fantastic but he is seperated. he is church of england and was married in church of england, and i am catholic. i obviously want to get married in a catholic church but i dont know if this is possible with this man. i thought that if he got an annulment then we would be fine but then i read that there are no annulments in the church of england because they do sometimes let people remarry in there churches, but can they remarry in the catholic church after being married in church of england and divorced? i do not know very much about the church of england beliefs and how much they differ from catholics. if he got divorced and converted to a catholic, would he then be able to remarry in the catholic church. its all so confusing! is a church of england marriage still accepted in the catholic church because if thats the only option i would still want to go to the church of my own catholic religion after getting married in a church of england. i hope theres someone who can help me, i need some advice, its driving me mad!!!!
thank you
louise
Old 22nd February 2005, 10:17 PM   #2
Kate

Re: advice on marriage please

Dear Strawberries

You could try talking to your local priest - I know you haven't decided to go ahead yet, but he might still give you guidance. You might also try the Association of Interchurch Families.

There is also a link here that might help.

Kate
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 06:33 PM   #3
strawberries

thank you kate
does anyone else have any advice they can give me? i need as much as i can get!
Old 24th February 2005, 07:47 PM   #4
Sierra

Well, my "there is no god" thread got locked so I tread lightly here.

However,

If perhaps you would worry less about the "invisible man" and instread throw yourself into your love it would be more fun and less problem-ridden.

Just a thought (made in the highest spirit of compassion, and in the most non-offensive, open-minded and socially inclusive manner possible).

D
Old 24th February 2005, 08:33 PM   #5
Shasta

Ok, this may be sneaky and not even apply, but- if you had a justice of the peace preform the ceremony and had it somewhere nice (maybe in a garden or outdoors) you weren't married in either church (will your church accept that?) My church wouldn't marry my husband and I because he isn't a "baptized member" (he's terrified of being in front of crowds.) Legalism in churches has become a problem over the last few decades it's ridiculous, but you can get around the "rules." We got married barefoot on a beach (it was beautiful, and I didn't feel like I missed anything by not having a traditional church wedding.
Old 26th February 2005, 12:07 AM   #6
strawberries

thank you.
i think i will be going to speak to a priest as i have been reading up on it all way too much now and theres so much different info about it!
thank you for your advice.
if anyone else reads this thread and has knowledge that may help, please reply.
Old 1st March 2005, 04:22 AM   #7
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberries
hello
i have met a man who is fantastic but he is seperated. he is church of england and was married in church of england, and i am catholic. i obviously want to get married in a catholic church but i dont know if this is possible with this man. i thought that if he got an annulment then we would be fine but then i read ...
Louise,

The Catholic Church considers marriage in a Protestant Church as being valid just as any Baptism thas was done in the name of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) with parent(s) permission. 25 % of all annulments being done in the Catholic Church today are for Protestants. The Catholic Church agreed to recognize the marriages.

Of course, many of those Protestants going through annulments have spouses that are unwilling to cooperate in the process, namely because they are either anti-Catholic or don't like some other people getting involved in what they consider a private matter with their estranged spouse. Usually, the case is ruled in favor of the one seeking an annulment.

Depending on how long annulments take in your diocese (annulments are approved by your local bishop), you will want to get started with the process ASAP with your pastor. It is a process.

Lurker
Old 17th April 2005, 10:24 PM   #8
roppelt

maby you should keep looking in your own Religion. no matter how much you care for this man your setting yourself up for all kinds of problems. you need to be of one mind with the person your going to marry and he simply is not going to share the same values as you. he is also going thrue a bad time, you offer him comfort and compaionship but relationships like this rarely last as he is rebounding. I am not trying to be mean just to let you know the facts. Please reconsider and realy look at the differences between you some things cannot be briged.