Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 18th August 2006, 09:54 PM   #1
PMDF

Ring help

I've seen some gorgeous rings about, but know very little on Engagement rings.
Is a platinum plated ring still a good engagement ring?
I'm not good at this whole "the ring must be of these materials only" thing.

Can Engagement rings have a "lab created ruby, diamond " or whatever stone, or does it have to be pure? Money is quite tight, and I don't want to put my Fiance out of house and home just to buy something which will most likely take a bashing over the years.
PMDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 03:57 PM   #2
markus

Re: Ring help

Dont spend too much .. you might end up wanting to throw it in the bin one day
Old 20th October 2007, 08:22 PM   #3
nik1h

Thumbs down Re: Ring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus View Post
Dont spend too much .. you might end up wanting to throw it in the bin one day
Right on the money Markus. Pretty good odds I'd say. Save your money dont do it
Old 24th October 2007, 04:47 PM   #4
1aokgal

Take her shopping and have a budget figure in mind as to what you will spend. Let her select her own ring so she gets what she likes.

Do some looking in advance so you have an idea about the values and price so you don't get a shock. I saw the ring I wanted in the window one day and he bought the one I wanted to have. Yes, it was expensive but I did not select one that was outrageous. It was made by the jewele and is very different than off the shelf rings.

I would not have liked just any ring as I had my heart set on this one as soon as I saw it. Yes, the ring is platinum which is more valuable and the stones are cut wide and beautiful. Most women have a ring style in mind. Don't make a mistake ..she selects her own and will love it.
Old 8th September 2006, 03:52 AM   #5
Danielle

That ring will be on her finger for life. Lab created isn't as valuable as a natural stone, but it is still beautiful. My advise is to take her out and get her reacation to different rings and buy her what fits her personality because the ring is the most important thing to the bride (other than a wedding without any drunk bridesmaids). Take your time. Platinum is wonderful and strong. It is expensive. Keep in mind, the carat of gold you end up chosing is important too. Even though 10k or 14k has less actual gold in it, it will keep it's shape better. Just ask if there is nickel in the ring. That is the cause of "green fingers" and most women can't tolerate nickel. Other than that, if she see's the strangest ring and loves it....that's the one.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 11:06 AM   #6
auburn

My engagement ring looks like the one in the picture. Its simple and very pretty and it didnot cost all that much. Platinum is beautiful and lasting. Im sure you can adjst your budget to fit in a nice platinum ring-nobody says that an engagement ring has to be extravagant!

Last edited by Kate; 13th March 2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12th March 2007, 08:43 AM   #7
chloebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDF View Post
I've seen some gorgeous rings about, but know very little on Engagement rings.
Is a platinum plated ring still a good engagement ring?
I'm not good at this whole "the ring must be of these materials only" thing.

Can Engagement rings have a "lab created ruby, diamond " or whatever stone, or does it have to be pure? Money is quite tight, and I don't want to put my Fiance out of house and home just to buy something which will most likely take a bashing over the years.
From a girl's point of view, a princess or emerald cut diamond on a platinum setting weighing not less than 1 carat would be the perfect engagement ring

========================

Last edited by Kate; 13th March 2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Removing advertising link
Old 2nd April 2007, 09:49 PM   #8
Corday

Talking Re: Ring help

Platinum can be very good, as it is stronger than gold or silver, but it doesn't mean that it is the right one for you. Only you will know what makes you happy in an engagement ring. I would suggest doing a lot of internet research before even setting foot in a jewelers. I used Abazias.com when we chose my white gold, .5 carat, princess cut solitaire. I love it, but it took me about 5 months to decide on it. There are a million jewelry sites out there, and most of them offer good information.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 07:39 AM   #9
jewelry-fan

Platinum is quite often used as a material for engagement rings

Use whatever material makes you happy. Just one word of advice: for the stone, be sure to choose something that is quite strong since you would be wearing your ring, I presume, everyday and you don't want something that's pretty but shatters easily.

Last edited by Dave; 1st October 2007 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Removing link
Old 30th November 2007, 09:52 PM   #10
owpdanpooler

Taking your significant other to the store is always a good start but why not have her fill out a simple website? I had my future bride fill out this form:
http://ourweddingproposal.com/index.php?topic=46.0
After she filled it out I knew what kind of budget I might be looking for and what type of ring. Now I plan to get the proposal ready and find a very inexpensive ring. After I ask her I plan to take her to the store of our choosing with a budget and get the perfect ring. I'm not sure how she'll take getting a fake or tiny ring during the actual proposal but I think she'd rather have her perfect ring than one that was "in her mind" her second pick!

Things are getting close just a few more months before I have to have everything in place for my proposal!!
Wish me luck..
Dan
http://ourweddingproposal.com
Old 2nd May 2008, 03:10 AM   #11
Justabloke

engagement rings are a token of love and commitment.
they can be anything you want.

love is what matters.

Bloke....

Last edited by Justabloke; 2nd May 2008 at 03:15 AM.