Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 19th July 2003, 05:20 AM   #1
pbaldwin

Question Are Childless marriage Christian

On this web site the following appeared in a description of a Christian marriage

http://www.2-in-2-1.co.uk/php-bin/jump.php?linkid=219

"Reproduce Children in God’s Likeness
God’s second purpose for marriage is to reproduce:
God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it." Genesis 1:28a
God wants married couples to reproduce children – in His "likeness." Couples who are competitive, angry and divided, are not fully able to nurture children in God’s image. Why? In order to teach children the principles of agape love, godly discipline, and good morals, it must first be modeled by parents. Words are not enough! As parents puts aside their innate selfishness and trust God to meet their needs, petty disagreements fade in comparison to their love for their children. The Christian couple who does not have children can fulfill this purpose by making others disciples of Jesus Christ."

Does this mean that our marriage, where we are infertile cannot have a Christian marriage?
Old 19th July 2003, 05:55 PM   #2
Liz

Thank you for your posting. I have just read the article that is featured on the front page of the Crosswalk site. I believe it is not about condemning couples who are childless but about the spiritual nature of marriage.

It doesn't say there that if you don't have children you are not fulfilling God's purpose, but it does hold a challenge to those who do have children to bring them up in a godly way adn to be an example to their children.

God gave the three purposes to marriage. I believe that the order that things are said in the bible is significant. These purposes were described before the Fall. Since the Fall, the world is not a perfect place. There is pain and disappointment.

Infertility is a really tough thing to face. I can remember discussing with my husband before we married how we would cope with it if it happened to us. Having children was very important to us, but we agreed not more important than loving each other.

As the article says, a married couple can have children in other ways - there are lots of children in desperate need of foster or adoptive parents, but also there are lots of people out there especially youngsters who need spiritual parenting and loving.

Your married love is special - a sign of God's love in the world, and a statement of unity in spiritual terms - the two other purposes. Every time you share your special love to support and care for someone else you are being immensely fruitful in the Lord's eyes. Every time a young person sees the love you two have for each other, you are acting as a role model for them of married life.

If you are interested in other information about infertility in marriage, there are some articles here and in particular an article by a couple sharing how they faced the pain of infertility.

With best wishes to you both

Liz
Old 8th January 2004, 07:04 PM   #3
gavin

children born out of wedlock are the children of abbadon. Only the merciful father can save them from the future torment that they will suffer. Only he can protect them from the scourge of homosexuality that is rampant in our schools and societys

Old 9th January 2004, 10:19 AM   #4
Liz

In the real world away from computer games and "Abbadon", only the Lord can save any of us! There are many pressures on all our children these days and children from stable families face the same pressures as those born outside marriage. While I believe in marriage, I do believe that many single parents do their utmost to bring their children up wisely and to protect them. Not all single parents are in their position by choice. It takes two to make a child and two to build a stable and permanent relationship.

Liz

The reality of the Living God is far more exciting and fulfilling than war gaming.
Old 8th April 2004, 09:55 PM   #5
David Harris

Re: Are Childless marriage Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
children born out of wedlock are the children of abbadon. Only the merciful father can save them from the future torment that they will suffer. Only he can protect them from the scourge of homosexuality that is rampant in our schools and societys
children need to be protected from the type of sentiments which you express

Old 4th May 2004, 02:56 PM   #6
completelygutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
I fully agree with David on his comment about your post Gavin. I'm not a religious person, I chose not to be. All of my mother's family are very religious and draw a great deal of comfort from God. I wish I could do the same but unfortunately I can't. I made a choice and I believe in my choice.

During times of trouble God is there for my family. My cousin, who was just 12 years old, had been battling leukemia for 7 years when he passed away. Throughout his battle against leukemia he drew a great deal of strength from God. God helped him through it. When he passed away, my whole family drew strength from God knowing that He had taken him from them for Himself. He was such an amazing child which I'm sure had a lot to do with his parents and their faith.

Having said that, it is the single minded views expressed in your post that often give religion a bad name. There is nothing wrong with homosexuality. Granted, it's different, but only to heterosexuals. It doesn't make that person any less human, any less loving or any less caring. In fact, many homosexuals are more human, more loving and more caring than any heterosexual you would ever meet. Why is this? Probably because they have been persecuted their whole life and know the true meaning of life. They know the real importance of living life, making the most of life and drawing the good from any bad situation.

Homosexuality is just as natural as heterosexuality. WHAT ARE YOU SCARED OF GAVIN?

There are many homosexual Christians on the face of this earth and I'm sure your God loves them just as much as He loves you. There is also nothing wrong with children born out of wedlock. OK, so many children born out of wedlock are neglected and unloved but the same can be said of many children born in wedlock. I'm sure that if a child born out of wedlock decides to turn to God then He will welcome them with open arms (although I would hope that God, who loves all mankind, would still keep a watchful eye over those who have not yet discovered the powers He holds). At the other end of the scale, if a child born in wedlock decides to turn away from God then He will let them go without a fight to discover their own life beyond religion.

There are many religions on this earth and every one of them provides comfort and warmth to their worshippers. However, it is when people become fanatical about one or more aspects of their religion that problems occur. Look at the state of the world today. What is the primary cause of the mess we see around us? Think about it. Hard. Have you got it yet?

Wake up Gavin, this is the year 2004.

Andy

Old 6th May 2004, 05:10 PM   #7
Liz

We left the posting by Gavin on for a while as we try to have good reason to remove a post, and hoping that we might engage him. However he has not replied to any of the subsequent posts and we have done some follow up and have reason to believe that his post was a "plant" to stir things up rather than a genuine expression of his own views. We will probably close this thread in the next few days when people have had a chance to read this message.

Liz
Closed Thread