Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 3rd April 2009, 03:20 AM   #1
Ageing Grace

the sunshine factor

I've just been doing some more reading on my pet topic - Seasonal Affective Disorder - and it suddenly struck me: Brits, Canadians, Northern Europeans & denizens of the Northern States, have you noticed there seems to be a rash of marriage breakdowns in February/March? Yeah, me too.

SAD is not only a WHO-recognised illness these days, it also has a bunch of sub-types which - you guessed it - demonstrate emotional disturbance, insomnia, lack of energy and sudden cravings.

Sunlight is the main source of Vitamin D for our bodies. Vitamin D is essential for bone strength - lack of it was the cause of rickets in the old days, which is why it's added to baby milk - and you need to pay attention to that if you have a tendency to osteoporisis in your family. It's now being recognised as essential for basic hormonal functions, such as thyroid and a whole load of other metabolic factors. Experts are currently fighting each other like mad, over whether it's more dangerous to risk sunburn or to have insufficient exposure!

This is one of those things your granny always 'knew' but have been lost in the muddle of science - lack of daylight makes you poorly, miserable and restless.

A thought: if your spouse seems edgy and/or listless after Christmas, don't just put it down to the hangover. Get them outdoors for at least an hour in daylight, maybe get a full-spectrum lamp to switch itself on in your bedroom first thing (I have one of those - makes a huge difference!) and bend every rule to get a sunshine holiday during the gloomiest weeks.
If it's already gone pear-shaped but you hope for a reconciliation ... try in April, when the sun's been out for a few weeks.

No guarantees ... but who knows?

AG
Ageing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Hilary

Re: the sunshine factor

Good thought AG. Getting enough sun is so important, not only for SAD but also for MS and other conditions. I've just downloaded several interesting articles from medical journals. Lack of vitamin D was an important factor in the development of various cancers. Perhaps we have overdone it with the slip, slop, slap of sunscreen here in Australia. A great many of us are vitamin D deficient. One of the articles reported that lack of vitamin D contributed to 26,500 cancer deaths a year. By comparison only 1648 Australians died from skin cancer in 2006. It made me think...
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 12:22 AM   #3
jkk

Hi AG

i recognised i was suffering a touch of SAD about 12 years ago. Mine begins mid December and gets worse until spring. I changed to special lighting in the kitchen to help, and i try to escape to the sun in December and February - it's really helped. I didn't get way this winter - maybe that's why i got into a bit of a state (plus other reasons). I had a sunshine break in March though and feel much better for it!

JKK
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Ageing Grace

[quote=jkk;44094] I had a sunshine break in March though and feel much better for it!

JKK[/quote]

Lucky you

I'm so glad the sun's been shining the past few days!

xx
Ageing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 11:25 AM   #5
georgie

I live in Australia... what's my excuse?
georgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None