Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 17th February 2009, 05:41 AM   #1
paul98

Is saying "I love you" a boast?

Hi

First post on here, so be kind!

Paul warns us in 1 Corinthians 13:4 about boasting. So the question is can saying to ones husband or wife "I love you" be considered a boast in the eyes of the Lord?
paul98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Raymond

Re: Is saying "I love you" a boast?

How on earth do you arrive at that? It is certainly not a boast and is a very good thing to say to ones spouse if you mean it.

Raymond
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 07:51 PM   #3
paul98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How on earth do you arrive at that? It is certainly not a boast and is a very good thing to say to ones spouse if you mean it.

Raymond
Hi Raymond and thanks for your reply. It is not me, it is the wife. I am not sure just when she developed this idea but it is certainly more than a few years. As far as I am aware boasting is only mentioned once in the bible by Paul in Corinthians but she is far more well read on Christianity than I am so thought I may be missing something. It would seem though that you are just as puzzled as I am. Makes trying to find a Valentine card very difficult. Try finding one without "I love you". Life can be tough at times!
paul98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Raymond

A lot of wives would love to hear those words Paul. It is nothing to do with boasting. It is simply verbalising your love to your wife. No way can it be connected with boasting.

The boasting Paul mentions is to do with his boasting in the Lord rather than boasting about other things. It was a good thing in that context.

Raymond
Old 19th February 2009, 08:27 PM   #5
BettyG

Paul, I think I can understand where you are coming from. But dont in the smallest way think its a boast. In fact the way I read the bible is its telling us to say it often. Say it to family, say it to friends who need it, say it to children, say it often. It not said enough.
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Ageing Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyG View Post
It's not said enough.
Amen to that
Ageing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Brotan

1 Corinthians 13 is the ultimate passage about love itself.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

I consider saying "I love you" to be kind to the person you say it to, trusting and hopeful. Saying I love you for me is an act of love in itself.

If you do a search on an internet site for times when boasting is mentioned in the Bible it is mentioned a lot - sometimes it warns us against it and other times it tells us to boast. One verse I found that I liked said:

This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD." Jeremiah 9: 22-24

Last edited by Brotan; 15th March 2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Additional comment added
Old 16th March 2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Raymond

Good sermon Brotan.

Raymond
Old 17th March 2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Raymond

It also says Love covers a multitude of faults. We all have faults but for someone to jump ship because of them is the biggest fault and the crucially dangerous one. How many on hear do we read about where one of the partners excuses adultery because of their loved ones faults. We are all a long way from perfect but being able to love begins to perfect us.

Raymond
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Steph08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotan View Post
1 Corinthians 13 is the ultimate passage about love itself.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

I consider saying "I love you" to be kind to the person you say it to, trusting and hopeful. Saying I love you for me is an act of love in itself.

If you do a search on an internet site for times when boasting is mentioned in the Bible it is mentioned a lot - sometimes it warns us against it and other times it tells us to boast. One verse I found that I liked said:

This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD." Jeremiah 9: 22-24
The humblest of all verses.

Never thought of saying I love you is boasting.