Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  

Go Back   2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums > General > Marriage and society

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th November 2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Ageing Grace

Children to learn about domestic abuse

A controversial move has been made to teach UK school children about domestic abuse ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8378341.stm ).

Those who know me will be unsurprised to hear I support this decision 100%. I grew up in a violent household and, as a result, became a woman who genuinely believed violence was normal. I accepted it from partners, colleagues and - er, friends. I also dished it out - verbally, in my case, but that doesn't make it any less abusive.

Although I now realise some of my better teachers had spotted the signs, domestic abuse was considered a private matter. The teachers weren't able to protect me and my siblings - nor, even, to educate us against it.

This education policy could have saved us from decades of warped thinking and from the unhealthy relationship models we adopted as adults. More: it might have empowered us to relieve the situation at home.

I'd go as far as to say it could actually change our society for the better! It will teach children - from as young as five - what behaviours are abusive, why they're wrong, and how to recognise healthy interactions. When you think about playground bullying and how it extends to life beyond the school grounds, the benefits of this policy should become clear.

Many people have reacted against the news, believing (I suppose) that children should be cocooned against nastiness. The fact is: every class contains at least one child living in secret torment. When the whole class becomes aware of domestic abuse, that child will gain life-enhancing knowledge and protection.

AG
Ageing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullying, children, domestic abuse, school curriculum