Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 14th April 2015, 10:37 PM   #1
sarah1985

Racist in-laws

I'm of mixed rice - my grandfather on my fathers side was from South Africa. This has never been an issue, until I met my in-laws...

I met my then boyfriend 5 years ago. Everything was wonderful - we had a fantastic few months together and quickly started to fall in love. He then told his mum he was dating when he next visited her, and showed her a photo of me. His mother was aghast, as although I am only slightly coloured - I wasn't "pure white". She told my boyfriend she could never accept me for this fact. He obviously didn't tell me this at that point...

I first realised something was up when she refused to meet me, despite us trying to arrange something several times. She would phone my boyfriend when I was there, crying hysterically saying he was being unfair and making her ill, as it was against her "Christian beliefs" to accept me. I had to sit in his flat, listening to him on the phone - as hard as I tried not to - trying to rationalise to his mother that my skin colour didn't matter. I never let my emotions get the better of me, despite the fact I felt utterly worthless because of what she was saying - but even moreso that my boyfriend didn't stand up to her and tell her to get lost and hang up on her.

When we met - she was pleasant enough, but I knew what she had said and her thoughts about me. Still, I was polite and made an effort. It wasn't as bad as I thought and on the surface, it all seemed fine.

A few weeks later, we visited some other family members. One auntie told us whilst I was sitting there that this was something new for them, and we would need to give them time to "adjust and get used to it". Again, I felt worthless - "get used to it" - so, me. Simply because of my skin colour...

We then went to his parents house to stay. Shortly after we arrived that day, his mother blurted out during dinner that she thought it was wrong us being together - I was coloured, he was white - we shouldn't be together. It was unnatural, it was not the way God intended it. What a dreadful mistake we were making of our lives... She then said I should be serving the food - not eating with them!!! At this point, I lost it - I called her a vindictive, nasty evil person. She seemed aghast and said I was rude for saying such things. Her husband couldn't believe the "audacity" of me, and asked me to leave. We both left.

The calls continued - she seemed to call several times each night, in tears pleading for my boyfriend to split up with me. Now, I should have left there and then - what normal person would continue to put up with this nonsense from a parent, knowing how worthless it made their partner feel?

It continued - and I reached a point where I told him I was leaving. He begged me not to, and I told him he either put a stop to this racist abuse from his family, or I wasn't staying around. He gave them an ultimatum - either keep their opinions to themselves, or don't contact us ever again. All seemed fine for the next year or so. Obviously things were difficult, but there was no more airing of views.

That is - until we became engaged. His mother reacted with tears when we told her when she visited us in our flat. She cried the whole time. Requested we take down our cards we had received congratulating us from our friends as it "upset her to look at them." I was heartbroken when I came back from the shops to find my now fiance had taken all our cards down and put them in a drawer...

Again, we struggled on. She attended our wedding, after much "thought and prayer", some other members of his family did too, but the majority stayed away as they "didn't agree with it".

A few months after the wedding we went to stay at his parents home. They have a rule about unmarried couples not sleeping together, and so we had always slept in separate rooms before. This time, however - we were married. Well, not according to his mother. She refused to let us sleep in the same room - she said in her eyes, we would never be married. Again, I couldn't take it - I told my husband that if she didn't agree to let us sleep in the same room, then she couldn't be part of our lives anymore. He did that - but she said I was "controlling" him.

This continued for several months, the phone calls started up again - her crying, my husband attempting to "soothe" her on the phone. By now I was furious - I would disconnect the phone after hearing 20 times that "it doesn't matter about her skin colour..." I was so angry at my husband for playing to her ridiculous nonsense.

We eventually split. I ended up quite unwell due to the whole incident. I was diagnosed with depression and put on antidepressants. Prior to that, I attempted to take my life. I purchased a large amount of pills and took them all. The whole incident had made me not like myself, and I couldn't cope with the confusion it had caused. I was only saved as the flat below me went on fire and the fireman had burst into my flat. Still, I got help and started to make a good recovery.

I decided to give my husband a call as, despite everything, I still loved him. He told me he had started dating someone else, and I respected that. A few days later, he emailed me saying he couldn't stop thinking about me and wanted to try and work things out. We exchanged emails over the next few weeks, and I poured my heart out, telling him how desperate and upset I felt, how humiliated I felt. I told him about my depression, how I had attempted to take my life. All the time I thought it was he and I talking - only a month or so later, he told me he had been reading these emails with the girl he had been dating. I felt crushed.

We decided to work things out. My husband ended his "dating" with this girl. We decided to go to counselling, as my husband told me I was "controlling". I had made things difficult between him and his family - I had made him lose the great relationship they all once had. It was all my fault. We went to counselling, and the counsellor saw it a completely different way. My husband then insisted we go to another counsellor, as he was wrong. Again, this counsellor said my husband should have cut all contact with his family completely. He said he was also wrong, and we wouldn't go back to counselling.

Despite this, things were good between us. Then his entire family decided to shun me. They all made it perfectly clear I wasn't welcome in any of their homes because of the trouble I had caused! Apparently it was my fault that his mother no longer had a close relationship with her son. Wedding invites, birthday invites...all solely addressed to my husband. Then both my parents died in a car crash - and it wasn't acknowledged by any member of his family. I was obviously devastated, but I had to continue. Then it came to Christmas and the entire family were having a get together. The invite arrived for my husband, with no mention of me. He had the nerve to ask me if I would mind if he went on his own...!

I was absolutely crushed. Both my parents had died, I was an only child...and here was my husband, actually asking if he could leave me on my own so he could spend Christmas with his family - the family who had behaved so appallingly towards me. I ripped up the invite and went to stay in a hotel for a few days. I can't articulate how crushed I was he would consider that.

When I returned home, my husband told me our marrige was over due to my "controlling" and "emotional abuse" that i had subjected him to. I was absolutely stunned. He became horrible - calling me ugly, called me fat - said I was worthless and told me to "go back to where you came from." Things obviously went downhill very quickly, and we are now separated - for good this time.

The thing is - he's told all of his friends and colleagues that I was emotionally abusive and tried to control him and cut off his family. They obviously believe this, and I have been painted to be some psychotic crazy woman who has been horrid to my husband since we met. None of his friends or colleagues know about the way they treated me as he didn't want them to find out what his mum and other family members had been saying. When I attempted to tell the truth - he said I was lying, and that I was so manipulative I would resort to that.

I am now left so devastated and upset that the man I thought would look after me has hurt me so much. But moreso - I'm so angry. I'm absolutely furious that he and his family are getting away with this. I'm so angry at myself for putting up with it. I can't believe how stupid I was - whilst I type this it seems absolutely ridiculous. But I can't help but question - was I emotionally abusive? Was I controlling? Should I just have accepted it, and continued to turn a blind eye to it, and just suppress my feelings?

Sorry for the long post! :-)

Sarah
sarah1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 11:01 PM   #2
notDoneYet

Re: Racist in-laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1985 View Post
I'm of mixed rice - my grandfather on my fathers side was from South Africa. This has never been an issue, until I met my in-laws...

I met my then boyfriend 5 years ago. Everything was wonderful - we had a fantastic few months together and quickly started to fall in love. He then told his mum he was dating when he next visited her, and showed her a photo of me. His mother was aghast, as although I am only slightly coloured - I wasn't "pure white". She told my boyfriend she could never accept me for this fact. He obviously didn't tell me this at that point...

I first realised something was up when she refused to meet me, despite us trying to arrange something several times. She would phone my boyfriend when I was there, crying hysterically saying he was being unfair and making her ill, as it was against her "Christian beliefs" to accept me. I had to sit in his flat, listening to him on the phone - as hard as I tried not to - trying to rationalise to his mother that my skin colour didn't matter. I never let my emotions get the better of me, despite the fact I felt utterly worthless because of what she was saying - but even moreso that my boyfriend didn't stand up to her and tell her to get lost and hang up on her.

When we met - she was pleasant enough, but I knew what she had said and her thoughts about me. Still, I was polite and made an effort. It wasn't as bad as I thought and on the surface, it all seemed fine.

A few weeks later, we visited some other family members. One auntie told us whilst I was sitting there that this was something new for them, and we would need to give them time to "adjust and get used to it". Again, I felt worthless - "get used to it" - so, me. Simply because of my skin colour...

We then went to his parents house to stay. Shortly after we arrived that day, his mother blurted out during dinner that she thought it was wrong us being together - I was coloured, he was white - we shouldn't be together. It was unnatural, it was not the way God intended it. What a dreadful mistake we were making of our lives... She then said I should be serving the food - not eating with them!!! At this point, I lost it - I called her a vindictive, nasty evil person. She seemed aghast and said I was rude for saying such things. Her husband couldn't believe the "audacity" of me, and asked me to leave. We both left.

The calls continued - she seemed to call several times each night, in tears pleading for my boyfriend to split up with me. Now, I should have left there and then - what normal person would continue to put up with this nonsense from a parent, knowing how worthless it made their partner feel?

It continued - and I reached a point where I told him I was leaving. He begged me not to, and I told him he either put a stop to this racist abuse from his family, or I wasn't staying around. He gave them an ultimatum - either keep their opinions to themselves, or don't contact us ever again. All seemed fine for the next year or so. Obviously things were difficult, but there was no more airing of views.

That is - until we became engaged. His mother reacted with tears when we told her when she visited us in our flat. She cried the whole time. Requested we take down our cards we had received congratulating us from our friends as it "upset her to look at them." I was heartbroken when I came back from the shops to find my now fiance had taken all our cards down and put them in a drawer...

Again, we struggled on. She attended our wedding, after much "thought and prayer", some other members of his family did too, but the majority stayed away as they "didn't agree with it".

A few months after the wedding we went to stay at his parents home. They have a rule about unmarried couples not sleeping together, and so we had always slept in separate rooms before. This time, however - we were married. Well, not according to his mother. She refused to let us sleep in the same room - she said in her eyes, we would never be married. Again, I couldn't take it - I told my husband that if she didn't agree to let us sleep in the same room, then she couldn't be part of our lives anymore. He did that - but she said I was "controlling" him.

This continued for several months, the phone calls started up again - her crying, my husband attempting to "soothe" her on the phone. By now I was furious - I would disconnect the phone after hearing 20 times that "it doesn't matter about her skin colour..." I was so angry at my husband for playing to her ridiculous nonsense.

We eventually split. I ended up quite unwell due to the whole incident. I was diagnosed with depression and put on antidepressants. Prior to that, I attempted to take my life. I purchased a large amount of pills and took them all. The whole incident had made me not like myself, and I couldn't cope with the confusion it had caused. I was only saved as the flat below me went on fire and the fireman had burst into my flat. Still, I got help and started to make a good recovery.

I decided to give my husband a call as, despite everything, I still loved him. He told me he had started dating someone else, and I respected that. A few days later, he emailed me saying he couldn't stop thinking about me and wanted to try and work things out. We exchanged emails over the next few weeks, and I poured my heart out, telling him how desperate and upset I felt, how humiliated I felt. I told him about my depression, how I had attempted to take my life. All the time I thought it was he and I talking - only a month or so later, he told me he had been reading these emails with the girl he had been dating. I felt crushed.

We decided to work things out. My husband ended his "dating" with this girl. We decided to go to counselling, as my husband told me I was "controlling". I had made things difficult between him and his family - I had made him lose the great relationship they all once had. It was all my fault. We went to counselling, and the counsellor saw it a completely different way. My husband then insisted we go to another counsellor, as he was wrong. Again, this counsellor said my husband should have cut all contact with his family completely. He said he was also wrong, and we wouldn't go back to counselling.

Despite this, things were good between us. Then his entire family decided to shun me. They all made it perfectly clear I wasn't welcome in any of their homes because of the trouble I had caused! Apparently it was my fault that his mother no longer had a close relationship with her son. Wedding invites, birthday invites...all solely addressed to my husband. Then both my parents died in a car crash - and it wasn't acknowledged by any member of his family. I was obviously devastated, but I had to continue. Then it came to Christmas and the entire family were having a get together. The invite arrived for my husband, with no mention of me. He had the nerve to ask me if I would mind if he went on his own...!

I was absolutely crushed. Both my parents had died, I was an only child...and here was my husband, actually asking if he could leave me on my own so he could spend Christmas with his family - the family who had behaved so appallingly towards me. I ripped up the invite and went to stay in a hotel for a few days. I can't articulate how crushed I was he would consider that.

When I returned home, my husband told me our marrige was over due to my "controlling" and "emotional abuse" that i had subjected him to. I was absolutely stunned. He became horrible - calling me ugly, called me fat - said I was worthless and told me to "go back to where you came from." Things obviously went downhill very quickly, and we are now separated - for good this time.

The thing is - he's told all of his friends and colleagues that I was emotionally abusive and tried to control him and cut off his family. They obviously believe this, and I have been painted to be some psychotic crazy woman who has been horrid to my husband since we met. None of his friends or colleagues know about the way they treated me as he didn't want them to find out what his mum and other family members had been saying. When I attempted to tell the truth - he said I was lying, and that I was so manipulative I would resort to that.

I am now left so devastated and upset that the man I thought would look after me has hurt me so much. But moreso - I'm so angry. I'm absolutely furious that he and his family are getting away with this. I'm so angry at myself for putting up with it. I can't believe how stupid I was - whilst I type this it seems absolutely ridiculous. But I can't help but question - was I emotionally abusive? Was I controlling? Should I just have accepted it, and continued to turn a blind eye to it, and just suppress my feelings?

Sorry for the long post! :-)

Sarah
Sara, I'm so sorry that you find yourself here. I really am. Your story is so heart wrenching I don't know where to begin. I think the vets here will help,better than I can but that story is just so wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. My heart bleeds. Racist inlawys? If it were me I'd ignore the lot of them. But it ain't me. If you love someone you love them. That's it. Colour isn't an issue. Gender isn't an issue. Holy man age isn't an issue. But, for you this is a big problem. I don't know what to say. Sorry my love.
notDoneYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 11:11 PM   #3
sarah1985

Thank you for your reply. I was so stupid to put up with it for so long. I should have realised from the outset it would only get worse - and my husband has been useless. It's me who has had to stand up to them each and every single time. It's horrible when you have an large, close-knit family standing against you - just because you are a slightly different colour.

I'm more angry and hurt that my husband, the man who swore to love me and protect me, could let people treat me so badly, and then himself treat me so badly. He's gutless and without any morals. I know that now.

What I am now struggling with is the lies. To our joint friends, and to my husband's own friends and colleagues - he has told them I was controlling and emotionally abusive. He has said I made him lose contact with his family. He has lied in order to protect the reputation of himself and his family. He has failed to mention that there was an issue with my skin colour, and has outright called me a liar when I told a mutual friend the whole truth. He is using my previous mental illness against me - and has labelled me as "crazy". I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but it's infuriating - folk think I have controlled, abused and prevented my ex from seeing his family.
Old 14th April 2015, 11:23 PM   #4
chosen

sarah I am assuming that you are in the USA? I do know that many in the USA have these appalling, hateful and disgusting views on colour and race. Believe me, its NOTHING to do with God or the Bible, I and My husband are strong Christians and we wouldnt have any problems at all with any of our children marrying someone from another country or race, and I find it impossible to believe there are still people like them about. It makes me wants to weep. I am sure it makes God weep as well, because to Him you are beautiful and precious. They will be held accountable for their terrible behaviour one day.

If my family treated my husband like that, I would have cut them off immediately, but sadly he is still very much under their control and manipulation. You are better off away from the lot of them to be honest, I would feel like slapping them round the face after 5 minutes to be honest, their total ignorance makes my blood boil.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 11:26 PM   #5
chosen

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I was so stupid to put up with it for so long. I should have realised from the outset it would only get worse - and my husband has been useless. It's me who has had to stand up to them each and every single time. It's horrible when you have an large, close-knit family standing against you - just because you are a slightly different colour.

I'm more angry and hurt that my husband, the man who swore to love me and protect me, could let people treat me so badly, and then himself treat me so badly. He's gutless and without any morals. I know that now.

What I am now struggling with is the lies. To our joint friends, and to my husband's own friends and colleagues - he has told them I was controlling and emotionally abusive. He has said I made him lose contact with his family. He has lied in order to protect the reputation of himself and his family. He has failed to mention that there was an issue with my skin colour, and has outright called me a liar when I told a mutual friend the whole truth. He is using my previous mental illness against me - and has labelled me as "crazy". I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but it's infuriating - folk think I have controlled, abused and prevented my ex from seeing his family.
Write down as you have here, exactly what actually happened, and send them all a letter is my advise. If they believe him and not you then what does that say about them? Surely you own friends believe you???
Old 14th April 2015, 11:27 PM   #6
sarah1985

Hi Chosen, thanks for your reply. I am not in the USA - this is in the UK - as hard as it may be to believe! My soon to be ex husbands family are from the Isle of Lewis, although we live in Edinburgh.

You're right - I am only so angry that I stayed and put up with it for so long :-)
Old 14th April 2015, 11:33 PM   #7
chosen

Quote:
Hi Chosen, thanks for your reply. I am not in the USA - this is in the UK - as hard as it may be to believe! My soon to be ex husbands family are from the Isle of Lewis, although we live in Edinburgh.

You're right - I am only so angry that I stayed and put up with it for so long :-)
Wow, maybe those on the Isle of Lewis are very behind the times and stuck in their ways???I haven't come such extreme prejudice as that. I have friends with children married to black partners, they are perfectly happy about it, and in my recent church there are few couples there the same. No one is bothered.

In hindsight getting involved in such a family when he wasnt prepared to stand up for you was a big mistake, but you werent to know they would never change.
Old 14th April 2015, 11:34 PM   #8
sarah1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Write down as you have here, exactly what actually happened, and send them all a letter is my advise. If they believe him and not you then what does that say about them? Surely you own friends believe you???
Yes, my own friends have seen the effect it has had on me. There's been many a night when I've turned up heartbroken after listening to my husband try and defend his families behaviour on their doorstep. They've been telling me to leave him for years, but I thought I could make them see that we could be a happy couple like everyone else - despite the issue that they thought was there.

Ironically - I was trying to protect my husband by not telling our shared circle of friends the truth. My own friends reacted so negatively and I didn't want the same to happen with the friends we socialised with together. So I always smiled and pretended everything was fine.

It's not about making people believe me - I honestly couldn't care what folk believe, it's more the anger that I have that he and his family have gone to such extreme lengths to lie about the whole situation. As if their behaviour wasn't already appaling enough, they've then went even further.
Old 14th April 2015, 11:37 PM   #9
sarah1985

Quote:
Wow, maybe those on the Isle of Lewis are very behind the times and stuck in their ways???I haven't come such extreme prejudice as that. I have friends with children married to black partners, they are perfectly happy about it, and in my recent church there are few couples there the same. No one is bothered.

In hindsight getting involved in such a family when he wasnt prepared to stand up for you was a big mistake, but you werent to know they would never change.
Yes, you're right. My husband was never going to stand up to them - it was really me doing it, and yes - I did push him to stand up for me. But that's the problem - I shouldn't need to PUSH my husband to stand up for me. It should be a natural instinct.

I know they are a very small minority, and that they will be out of my life as soon as we are divorced, so I shall just have to focus on that. It's difficult letting go of the anger though. It wasn't until I left I realised how badly they had behaved, if that makes sense...?

I won't take up any more of your time. Thank you for your kind words! :-)
Old 14th April 2015, 11:38 PM   #10
chosen

Quote:
Yes, my own friends have seen the effect it has had on me. There's been many a night when I've turned up heartbroken after listening to my husband try and defend his families behaviour on their doorstep. They've been telling me to leave him for years, but I thought I could make them see that we could be a happy couple like everyone else - despite the issue that they thought was there.

Ironically - I was trying to protect my husband by not telling our shared circle of friends the truth. My own friends reacted so negatively and I didn't want the same to happen with the friends we socialised with together. So I always smiled and pretended everything was fine.

It's not about making people believe me - I honestly couldn't care what folk believe, it's more the anger that I have that he and his family have gone to such extreme lengths to lie about the whole situation. As if their behaviour wasn't already appaling enough, they've then went even further.
Well they clearly dont want anyone to know how terrible their attitudes are, which proves that they know its very wrong(which of course it is).
As I said write a nice simple letter explaining what actually happened and leave it at that.
What makes me most mad is their trying to make out its what God wants and 'praying' whether to come to the wedding. RUBBISH, God is on your side believe me NOT theirs.
Old 14th April 2015, 11:40 PM   #11
chosen

sarah you are bound to feel angry but that will get better in time. I am off to bed now but will be here again tomorrow if you need to talk more.
Old 14th April 2015, 11:46 PM   #12
Lindentree1

Quote:
sarah I am assuming that you are in the USA? I do know that many in the USA have these appalling, hateful and disgusting views on colour and race. Believe me, its NOTHING to do with God or the Bible, I and My husband are strong Christians and we wouldnt have any problems at all with any of our children marrying someone from another country or race, and I find it impossible to believe there are still people like them about. It makes me wants to weep. I am sure it makes God weep as well, because to Him you are beautiful and precious. They will be held accountable for their terrible behaviour one day.

If my family treated my husband like that, I would have cut them off immediately, but sadly he is still very much under their control and manipulation. You are better off away from the lot of them to be honest, I would feel like slapping them round the face after 5 minutes to be honest, their total ignorance makes my blood boil.
I keep changing my reaction to this post! Let me just say this--as an American, I respectfully, vehemently disagree.

And I mean I disagree with the first two sentences of the above post.

Last edited by Lindentree1; 15th April 2015 at 04:35 AM.
Lindentree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 11:49 PM   #13
Lindentree1

Sarah I will write to you more tomorrow. I just for now will say how sorry I am for all you've been through. You deserved better.
Lindentree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 01:17 AM   #14
luca3434

So Sorry Sarah. It sounds like you are starting to take control, so give yourself a pat on the back. I know Lewis very, very well indeed.....
Are they Free Presbyterian by any chance?
luca3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 05:32 AM   #15
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindentree1 View Post
I keep changing my reaction to this post! Let me just say this--as an American, I respectfully, vehemently disagree.

And I mean I disagree with the first two sentences of the above post.
I am in regular contact with many people in Texas, and they all say that there is a lot of very bad prejudice against blacks there. One of them has a black husband.
I was also watching a programme the other night which was about a couple with the almost exact same issues that this lady had. The young man was white and his fiance was some small part black and from South Africa. His dad was very prejudiced and made it very clear that he was NOT happy with them getting married.
I suspect its very different in different parts of America.